Forums Latest Members
  1. Dedalus Jun 3, 2014

I'd like to purchase some watch books over the next few months (or better yet, receive them as birthday gifts from the family come August) and would love the forum's input. ::book::

All I currently have is:

Wristwatches: Armbanduhren Montres-bracelets - Gisbert Brunner & Christian Pfeiffer-Belli
    The Classic Watch - Michael Balfour
    Rolex: Timeless Elegance - George Gordon
    (along with some smaller, general watch publications that I can't currently find)

This is the list of books I'd like to purchase over coming months, and would love further suggestions (particularly any brands with strong vintage appeal that I've missed, e.g. Heuer is another brand with which I'd like to familiarise myself):

· Doxa Sub: Forty Years 1967-2007 – Dr Pete Millar
    · Longines – Daria Marozzi & Gianluigi Toselli
    · Longines Watch Movements – Patrick Lindner
    · Longines Watches – John Goldberger
    · Omega: A Journey Through Time – Marco Richon
    · Rolex: 3,621 Wristwatches – Kesaharu Imai
    · Rolex Wristwatches – Jeffrey Hess & James Dowling
    · Vintage Rolex Sports ModelsMartin Skeet
    · Universal Watch Geneve – Pietro Giuliano Sala
    · Zenith: Swiss Watch Manufacture Since 1865 – Manfred Rössler

FWIW, I see myself starting with Dowling and Hess, Sala, and perhaps Lindner (as these are where my current vintage interests lie).

Thanks in advance for any and all further suggestions. :thumbsup:

2. cristos71 Jun 3, 2014

Another couple of John Goldberger books about Omega are Omega Watches and Omega Sports Watches. Both not perfect but well worth the money these days as they can be found on Ebay for 30 or 40 euros

3. Dedalus Jun 4, 2014

Thanks Cristos. Sounds like the Goldberger books are worth the price of entry, even if just for the eye candy. I know there must be many more titles out there, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. :cheers:

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 4, 2014

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

6. Dedalus Jun 4, 2014

Thanks guys. Already bookmarked the Speedy book website and will definitely be picking a copy up at some stage. :thumbsup:

7. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2014

I don't think the Goldberger book "Longines Watches" is worth the money. I have it and maybe use it once or twice a year. It doesn't have much information except a basic description of watches that are pictured, and stops with one sole Flagship (an automatic date-at-12 caliber 341 - not even a single manual wind at all!) shown at the end. There are some pocket watches, chronographs, and a dozen or so military style watches, and even a ship's chronometer or two, but it's more like a random sampling of many styles.

8. Dedalus Jun 4, 2014

Thanks Dennis. My vintage interests are pretty broad right now so I think I'll continue to do a bit of reading and pick up some stuff on Rolex, UG, and Omega to begin with. The consensus on the Goldberger books seems to be that they might be more coffee book than reference work, so I might pick them up at later dates (at the right price).

I read here in another thread that the Lindner book is the one to get for Longines. The book's title aside, does this work include plenty of images of cases, dials, etc. along with movements? I ask because I'd be lost without a good comprehensive reference. (Of course I know I can always turn to the knowledgable members of OF with any questions or concerns I might have). :thumbsup:

9. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2014

That's the best way to describe them.

Lindner does not go into the mating of cases and/or dials to any particular movement. The entire book is about Longines' calibers and their evolution. A little deductive reasoning using the caliber release date versus the next caliber's release date combined with some experience in the brand's cases and dials can help you put 2 and 2 together to somewhat determine correctness.

However, as LouS can attest, all bets are off in the years 1958 and 1959. Don't even ask me to explain it - you'll see on a case by case (ha! I'm punny!) basis. There were factory frankens that have even fooled a few of us but were confirmed by prodding the Longines archivists.

10. Hijak Jun 5, 2014

So Dennis what is the Longines book to get, if I may cut in?:)

11. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2014

Lindner's "At the Heart of an Industrial Vocation" is the one I'm talking about with all their calibers.

I don't know of any book on Longines that's equivalent to what "A Journey Through Time" is to Omega. I rely on my notes and memory in conjunction with AtHofIV.

12. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 5, 2014

I just bought the Goldberger book on Longines, but that's more of a coffee table book like his others and concentrates on the chronographs (but it is beautiful and informative nonetheless).

13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 5, 2014

Quadrophenic-Schizophrenia

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 5, 2014

Longines is a righteous name that I appreciate more as time passes.

15. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2014

Well, keep that among us until we all get every model we want. Then let the word get out so when we retire from the watch game we can cash out big time. :D

UncleBuck likes this.
  16. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 5, 2014

Aren't we dead then?

17. cristos71 Jun 13, 2014

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Fachbuch-Ome...584?pt=Kataloge_Prospekte&hash=item51becf8738Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Here´s the Omega Sport Watches in English for only 30 Euros. I think that´s a great deal and if I didn´t have it I´d definitely get it. :)

It´s such a good deal I almost feel like getting myself a second mint NOS copy as mine is not so crisp on the edges anymore :confused:

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 13, 2014

I like your optimism !!! :p