Forums Latest Members
  1. cvrle1 Sep 20, 2016

Was thinking about BIN-ing it, but seeing movement and pics made me worried that there may be a lot of work needed to get it up and running properly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Vintage-Seamaster-300-165-024-/162209511432Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Looks to be all original parts, which is good, but...

Hands are missing lume
    Dial doesnt look nice, just looks kinda dirty
    Bezel looks like it is losing top layer and is peeling off (probably not, just the way it looks)
    Using Archer's "Spotting problems" thread, looks like warn rotor pinion, wheels look like they may have rust or something
    Looks like a screw or something is missing (last pic, bottom right, there is a hole, but nothing in it)
    Whole movement is just filthy looking
    No idea when service was done

Like I said, was really contemplating, but just wasnt sure how much work there would be to fix everything. Would suck to get what I thought was good deal, only to find that there is so much work and issues that in the end it ends up costing a lot more.

2. JohnSteed Sep 20, 2016

Yes

3. Steve1haggart Sep 20, 2016

a bargain given the prices of a SM300 these days .

4. cvrle1 Sep 20, 2016

well crap lol

5. cristos71 Sep 20, 2016

I disagree that it was a good deal. The dial is damaged, the bezel lacquer is damaged, the hands are empty and scruffy, the lume has blackened, the case is beaten up and polished, The movement will need a service and has some signs of being put together ( different coloured plates ) and the bracelet is I think non Omega and so also adds nothing to the package. I would avoid.

6. smitty190373 Sep 20, 2016

I can't work out if you like it or not?

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. cristos71 Sep 20, 2016

I don't like it at all

8. smitty190373 Sep 20, 2016

I kinda realised that :)

It sat there for weeks at that price. I think the bezel could be saved, but apart from that it's a money pit to get right.

cvrle1 likes this.
  9. Traveler Sep 20, 2016

To me it's symptomatic of the current market, in that if you want a really nice example, without looking to hard or waiting too long, it's likely going to cost you upwards of $8k - in that context, $3k might look like a bargain, but something like this one is never going to be 'desirable' .... if you love it, fine, but $3k is an awful lot of money to spend on such a flawed watch .... to me it's not a linear equation - great watches are worth their money, but busted and ugly examples - I'd rather pass and spend 3k on any number of great new or newer watches (not to mention a bunch of great vintage watches from less popular or 'hot' brands) that could be had for that price....

martinzx, KstateSkier and cvrle1 like this.
  10. cvrle1 Sep 20, 2016

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was leery of going in on this one, as last thing I needed was a dog that would end up costing a lot more to get fixed up. I had no idea how much parts and labor would be to get it restored, or if it even would have been possible to bring back to former glory. I guess anything is possible if you have the $$$

11. LaurentBxl Sep 20, 2016

Well, i'm monitoring the prices in Europe for a few months, what i have seen is 1k for a fake (they are a few on Ebay), 4to5k for an honest example (that means service case or relume or service hands, ... but good condition), and 8k for a real good untouched original one (and at that price i would only buy from a seller I know and trust...)....