Forums Latest Members

Was given an old Seamaster. Is it worth rebuilding?

1. nageeb Jun 25, 2019

I was recently given an old Omega watch face & movement from an uncle who had this in a tin since he was a kid. I know nothing about it other than it appears to be an Omega Seamster Cosmic automatic. A search of the serial number dates it back to the late 60's.

The movement shows definite signs of corrosion, but after a few turns of the weight the watch appears to start up and the second hand glides along rather smoothly.

I love the look of this old watch but would like to know if it would be worth it to hunt down a case, crown, crystal and band to get this on my wrist. Would love to hear the opinion from those more knowledgable than I on this topic.

Serial Number: 27182669
    Caliber 565

thanks

IMG_8162 copy.jpg IMG_8164 copy.jpg
    Edited Jun 25, 2019
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 25, 2019

These are not overly expensive and you can probably buy an entire one for US$500 (service history unknown), so by the time you find a case and fix the corrosion it may not be worth it.

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. TexOmega Jun 25, 2019

in a word, NO

4. Screwbacks Jun 25, 2019

unless you will turn it and interested into a "project" piece for restoration.

nageeb likes this.
  5. BillLundberg Jun 25, 2019

I have come to terms with vintage omegas, it’s better to find a good specimen, pay a little more, but avoiding spending so much money on repairs, parts, servicing, etc.

Hope You can find what You are looking for

DaveK and Benbradstock like this.
  6. AriTheWatchmaker Jun 26, 2019

Sell the movement to put towards a complete watch, and assume it will need service every 5 years...plan on it

7. nageeb Jun 26, 2019

Thank you for the feedback. Value is more sentimental than monetary so it could turn into a project down the road, but for now, it's going (in a zip-lock) back in a drawer.