Forums Latest Members

Warranty Status Verification?

1. robjd Feb 28, 2020

I recently purchased a Speedmaster FOIS from Chrono. Came with the warranty card, and everything.

I was wondering if there is any way to verify that the warranty card is legitimate, and that if I do have to send the watch in, I won't hear back that the stamp is fake, or the serial isn't real.

Do AD's report dates and serial numbers to Omega when a watch is sold?

2. Evitzee Feb 28, 2020

It's not likely that someone is going to fake a card to sell a real watch. Check the card's sn with your watch's sn…..that's easy enough. If they match you don't seem to have a problem.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Dan S Feb 28, 2020

Do you actually need a warranty card, or do they just look up the watch in the system? I'm trying to think of any other product where you need to save a card these days.

4. Evitzee Feb 28, 2020

Which system? Does the AD report to a central database when a watch is first sold at retail? I bought a brand new Omega from a Carribean AD in Dec. 2018 that had been in dealer stock since Oct. 2016, and I'm sure the AD did not report the sale anywhere. They dated the warranty card, gave me the watch, box and paperwork and sent me on my way. I better have the dated/stamped warranty card, or at least the itemized receipt, for the five year warranty period starting in Dec. 2018. I think Rolex requires a valid warranty card to enable warranty service, at least that is what they say in their warranty terms. In any case having the original warranty card is a valuable item to have when you sell the watch down the road, along with the box and other accessories.

Edited Feb 28, 2020
    Dan S likes this.
  5. KingCrouchy Feb 28, 2020

You can just write to the Omega customer service to check it. They helped me with a similar issue in the past.

6. Dan S Feb 28, 2020

Good to know, that sounds like a pain, and very old-fashioned to need a piece of paper to get repairs under warranty. But I guess it's a very traditional industry. When my washing machine had a problem and I called the manufacturer's service number, I gave them the serial number and they immediately knew when and where it had been purchased. This has generally been my experience with appliances, consumer electronics (i.e. phones and computers), automobiles, etc.

As you may be able to guess, I don't generally buy new watches.

7. Evitzee Feb 28, 2020

Part of the reason for hard copy warranty certificates is to try to cut down on grey market sales, transshipment of watches to other markets, and other shenanigans where the warranty card gets 'lost' along the way. Rolex has security features on their warranty cards; microprint, holograms under UV light, special finishes, etc. to try to cut down on fakes. And most manufacturers will not, under any circumstances, reissue a lost warranty card. It's a messy world.

Appliances, consumer goods and automobiles don't have these sorts of issues due to their large size and specialization for a particular market. Watches, being expensive, portable and desirable are pretty unique.

Dan S likes this.
  8. Hduck Feb 28, 2020

I know with Bretling you are required to send the card in with the watch. I sent a SM racing in for warranty repairs and the AD said it really wasn’t necessary

9. robjd Feb 29, 2020

I'm in the process of doing that. Emailed Swatchgroup and Omega.

10. KeithS Feb 29, 2020

It looks like Omega still requires either a warranty card or a receipt. Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 9.00.56 AM.png

osc likes this.
  11. robjd Feb 29, 2020

What I'm trying to confirm, is weather or not the warranty card the seller gave me is a real, valid card, or if they somehow aquired an unstamped card and put a sticker on it.

12. KeithS Feb 29, 2020

Yeah, I get that. I posted shipping instructions in response to someone asking if there was a centralized system that kept track of where and when an Omega watch was sold. I'm guessing the answer to that is no, seeing as they want individuals to mail in the warranty card with the watch for any repairs covered by warranty.

For you, I would imagine calling the AD whose name is on the warranty card and asking them to confirm whether or not they sold the watch is your best bet.

13. Evitzee Feb 29, 2020

Does the watch's reference number on the card match your watch, and does the serial number on the card match the serial number on the back lug of your watch? If it does I don't see what your problem would be. I think you are overcomplicating this. Post a copy of the warranty card and we can tell you if it looks fishy.