Forums Latest Members

*Warning* Tag Heuer Content

1. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? May 19, 2015

Now that I have your attention, please give me your opinions of Tag Heuers.
    I get the feeling that a lot of watch people don't like them.

I told my brother the other day that I bought an Aquaracer (used), and he looked at me like I had just thrown away my money.
    Why I wonder. The case is well made, the movement is the same ETA that's in my Seamaster Pro, it looks good. So what's not to like?

If you don't like Tags, please tell me why.

Do you not like the quality?
    Do you not like looks?
    Do you not like their history?
    Do you think that they are just an overpriced fashion watch?
    Or do you not like the people that own them?

Tag was the first "higher end" watch that I bought. I still have it, an '86 1000. I use it at the gym (it's my only watch that I will risk hitting with a barbell).

Look, I know that Tag has made some God awful watches

image.jpg image.jpg
    But that can't be the only reason people dislike them.
    Could the reason be that every Frat boy we hated in college wore one?

I get the feeling that it's the brand everyone likes to look down their noses at.

I know that all of this sounds defensive, that's not intensional. If Tag disappeared off of the face of the Earth, I wouldn't shed a tear. It just seems like an interesting dynamic in the watch community.
    It's the brand everyone loves to hate.

But why?

2. lillatroll May 19, 2015

It was also the first expensive watch I bought at the ripe old age of 17. I have the F1 chronograph second generation, it had a better movement than the first. Perhaps the brands reputation has been tarnished a bit because its watches are percieved to be of poor build quality, I am not sure that this is a fact, but as Nike say, image is everything.
    The plus side of them being less popular is that they can be picked up at reasonable prices, perhaps in years to come they will become more desirable, who knows. As long as the buyer is happy with it then thats all that really matters at the end of the day.

3. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? May 19, 2015

Our opinions of expensive sure can change over the years.

4. Bezel_Faulty May 19, 2015

I bought a 4000 series cheap on eBay some years back and was immediately impressed with the build quality. I then sought out a Carrera as I like the design and it has proved to be the clearest to read watch dial I have seen.
    I do agree that Tag Heuer appear to be a less expensive brand than, say, Omega. IMG_20150407_141233~2.jpg

5. lillatroll May 19, 2015

True, but back then it was it was a small fortune, 200 quid it cost. You could buy a nice seiko or casio for about 50 quid which was more than most of my mates spent on watches. Most of my friends could not believe i would spend that much on a watch. If i was going to buy a new tag today it would be a Monaco.

6. djmusicman May 19, 2015

I don't like the looks and if you look on eBay at used tags you will see that a lot of them look pretty beat up.

7. usernamehere May 19, 2015

First expensive watch I bought was a Tag. I think Tag watches are solid pieces. Although the they use ETA movements they're still nice...some may frown on ETA but they're workhorses.

8. Hijak May 19, 2015

Not the new ones...they use Seiko movements.:whistling:

9. usernamehere May 19, 2015

Really? I didn't know that...which Seiko movements? Assuming not those found in Grand Seiko...

10. lwong May 19, 2015

That organic tag bracelet in the first pic has always looked to me as though someone strapped a set of dentures around their wrist.

Pity the tag association because heuer pre-tag was fantastic.

11. usernamehere May 19, 2015

Whatever those designers were thinking about some of those Tag references is surely a head scratcher.

12. Hijak May 19, 2015

ricardorio likes this.
  13. usernamehere May 19, 2015

14. Hijak May 19, 2015

It was very hard to miss, it was on almost every forum, including this one.

15. usernamehere May 19, 2015

Cool.

16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 19, 2015

There's nothing wrong with them, I actually own this one. My dad gave this one to me and it was one of my first watches. It's a pretty solid piece with the bead blasted finish too. :)

[​IMG]

17. scruffy May 19, 2015

When I first started looking at luxury watches, I looked at Tag though I never ended up buying one. When I could finally afford one, they just didn't do anything for me. My tastes changed perhaps. Looking at their current lineup doesn't do anything for me either.

I did wear a fake Tag for 6+ years though. I got it for ~$30 and, thanks to the Miyota 0S20 movement, it was super reliable and a great value.

http://watchopenia.blogspot.com/2014/11/not-really-tag-heuer-not-really-limited.html
    not mine - mine had the blue dial
    [​IMG]

18. Hijak May 19, 2015

Owned this one but sold it a while back...
    image.jpg
    It was a nice watch with a dependable ETA 7750 movement. My only issue with Tag is thier recent dishonesty about the new "in-house" movements.

19. ulackfocus May 19, 2015

Owned a few Heuers over the years - vintage and modern. Windy has a mother of pearl lady's Aquaracer with diamond markers.

Nice. I've always liked the Aquaracer - might be the best looking bezel on a stainless steel sport watch.

20. Hijak May 19, 2015

The blue of the dial was pretty spectacular as well.:thumbsup: