Forums Latest Members

Warning, blackmail on eBay from a eBayer

1. axiale Aug 24, 2016

Hi to all.Like many person from here,i buy and sell on ebay.I asked for my personal watch 2k (IWC ) and i accepted buyer offer.Was no return auction.Description was very good ( in my opinion,a honest description),i accepted the buyer offer and now,buyer try to blackmail .First i offered gift another watch from my collection,second time i offered 100$ to fix the problem and last time i offered total refund for give my watch back but buyer asked me to return 600$ back and will give me positive feedback. But in buyer feedback another seller ,from Spain write: i will not accept your blackmail.
    Soon i will put pics ,name and more information with this buyer because i think all seller need to take care with this buyer.Is from Sweden ,i don't want to ofend other honest person from this country,apologize me for that .
    I don't understand how buyer like this have positive feedback ?
    Which is your opinion about that buyer?

2. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2016

That's eBay for you. :eek: ::facepalm2:: :rolleyes: :cautious:

3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 24, 2016

This is a well known problem with Ebay - there are many sellers who write on their profile that they will not give in to blackmail.
    Others may have a better advice but it seems what sellers do in that case is to offer a full refund in exchange for getting the watch back in the condition it was sold. And perhaps you're better off contacting Ebay immediately, and start a dispute asking for the cancellation of the sale.
    I think if you start a dispute the buyer can no longer give feedback until the issue is resolved.

axiale likes this.
  4. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 24, 2016

Tell him politely that you will gladly return his money after you
    receive your watch back. That should cover you with eBay.
    Then tell him you will not be blackmailed. You will have a
    chance to respond to his negative feedback and it will
    show up right under his comment.
    Gotta draw a line somewhere

Edited Aug 24, 2016
  5. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 24, 2016

I like the "contact eBay right away part" good idea

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 24, 2016

and if I remember correctly, once the issue is resolved they can no longer give negative feedback either.
    I once had a problem with a seller who scammed me ,they never shipped a watch I'd paid for, and I had to first give negative feedback to warn other buyers --and then start the dispute, because if I started with the dispute first I could no longer give any feedback.

axiale and pitpro like this.
  7. WatchVaultNYC Aug 24, 2016

The answer is always "return for a refund", anything else is a slippery slope that ends in blackmail. Buyer should pay for the return.

8. axiale Aug 24, 2016

I bought from France from Italy and other country.First i read description,second time i talk with seller.If i think price is high,i negotiate before to buy.But i don't buy and after make blackmail for diskount.

9. SpeedTar Aug 24, 2016

You must contact directly ebay about this litigation. Even if he put a negative feedback, ebay could erase it after once they studied the case.
    Don't fall in a blackmail exchange just for a feedback. I met once a problem for a chronograph case i sold (the buyer was unsatisfied for strange reason, i proposed to refund him, he did not wanted and put me a negative feedback that ebay just erased after i contact them).

axiale likes this.
  10. cvrle1 Aug 24, 2016

Unfortunately this isnt the eBay policy for all the cases. They changed it a bit ago that now if there is an issue with the item, seller is responsible for return shipping cost.

From eBay: "If you're returning an item because it isn't as described in the listing, the seller is responsible for return shipping charges, regardless of the seller's return policy. "

So in this case, buyer just needs to say it isnt as described, and OP is on the hook for return shipping. It is really annoying and quite a crappy policy, as a lot of buyers miss use it. They will say item isnt as described (and it can be the smallest thing, eBay will side with buyer 99% of the time) and then seller will be forced to offer some sort of a refund so that they are not on the hook for return shipping. For watches return shipping is small, but for something big, like guitars for example, it can be $50+

axiale likes this.
  11. WatchVaultNYC Aug 24, 2016

Yes, I've had to fight this several times. Not the return - I always accept returns, but buyer abuse of SNAD. Buyer's remorse or people who do not read descriptions want you to shoulder the cost of their mistakes. What works for me is variations of "yes, I agree that it has this imperfection here or there, but the listing CLEARLY says that you should expect it and look at the pictures you can CLEARLY see its there so its unreasonable for you to have any expectation that this watch has no scratches at all bla bla bla..".

Of course, this means that your listing descriptions are objectively accurate, and not leading your buyer into false expectations.

axiale and cvrle1 like this.
  12. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2016

I think eBay can also read your messages so you have proof if that's how he conversed with you.

axiale likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2016

Yes, VERY important that you do ALL communication via eBay message, not email.

kkt, axiale and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  14. fzhu052 Aug 24, 2016

eBay should be able to read your messages if they are through eBay platform. You should be able to call eBay customer support and ask them to read the message. This kind of buyer should be blocked from there. Please do yourself and everyone a favor.

axiale likes this.
  15. axiale Sep 11, 2016

Hi to all again,i am back good news in my case with the buyer who blackmail me.
    When i open my mail i find a mail from Paypal.After studying my claim ,they have done right and returned my money.
    They found my auction and my description was fair and make me justice.
    I hope ebay will block same buyers .
    I am very happy.
    Thank you Paypal.

Nitzbar, zimmerit5, pitpro and 4 others like this.
  16. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2016

Alright! Stuck it to the extorting bastard! :thumbsup:

Larry S, WatchVaultNYC and axiale like this.
  17. alam Sep 11, 2016

good deal! as other have said, when dealing in eBay, always, always and always do all communication with the Seller/Buyer via eBay's email system! be polite and accurate - and your outcome will be successful!

axiale likes this.
  18. Edward53 Sep 12, 2016

Ebay say that they cannot read private messages. Messages are thus no help in resolving disputes.

19. ulackfocus Sep 12, 2016

That's a load of crap. They absolutely can.

tyrantlizardrex and pitpro like this.
  20. Edward53 Sep 12, 2016

Well they obviously choose not to, which amounts to much the same thing.

wsfarrell likes this.