Forums Latest Members

Wanted to show my JLC p478 Calatrava at last!

1. chipsotoole Jan 12, 2018

Hi Guys,
    When I bought this early last Spring as part of a 6 watch lot for 200 euros I didn't quite know what i was letting myself in for. I sold the other five for around 200 I paid and put this in for repairs.
    I didn't know the horological importance or the collectability of the cal p478 then.In horological circles It is regarded as a classic and was used in the famous, rare, and very much sought after the limited Geophysic models from around 1958.
    The watch was probably a forerunner to that series (they certainly look very similar) and was made 54-56. Originally it was missing it's crown, winding pinion , and further inspection revealed a damaged clutch wheel and escape . As we know, JLC don't do parts, and parts for cals like this one very rarely show up . I found what I could myself and my watch guy (bless him) knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy, to get the clutch wheel. The afore mentioned supplier said to my watchguy, "When you get it up and running, tell him to sell it!". This is probably sage advice as P478 parts whilst scarce now, will be almost impossible to get in the future. I don't believe the crown to be original but at this point I can live with that.
    This is officially now my official 'Wear with kit gloves and thenonly once a month " treasure watch. I've got 5 other JLC watches from the 40's /50's including a very early Powermatic and a wrist alarm and they'll all probably get a lot more wrist time.
    I'm not planning on selling it very soon . Up till now, the nicest watch in my collection was a 1969 Speedy Mark 2....I think this simple uncomplicated and (in my eyes ) very classy one has just stolen the crown..... IMG_2971.jpg

Looneytoons and Larry S like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 12, 2018

One learns that these are hot house flowers. That's why one needs some modern watches as well. When I see rusty UG parts and dead watches selling for huge money, hands selling to 300 Euro each, cost of servicing... still they are lovely things.

GuiltyBoomerang and chipsotoole like this.