Forums Latest Members

Wanted to Buy.. I need 200 posts?

1. airbag Feb 8, 2016

As a new member after his first pre-owned Speedmaster... I cant work out the Wanted to Buy section of this website...

Unless anyone is into classic motorcycles, I am struggling to be able to contribute any useful info to the Omega discussions on this forum.. my knowledge is growing day by day but im not there yet.

So unless I ask 198 more "HOW DO I" beginner questions... how can I let the "WANTED TO BUY" section know Im wanting to find a decent seller and source a specific Speedmaster model?
    Maybe Im missing something....

2. peatnick Feb 8, 2016

Welcome airbag, you can always contribute to WRUW and other threads where Omega expertise isn't required. You can also respond to the many Speedmaster FS posts here. If you have solid sales references on another forum you can share with the moderators here and request dispensation

airbag and arkstfan like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 8, 2016

9 post
    4 threads
    And you have been here since Sunday ( what day is it today??)

Would not call that struggling. Read the rules and why they are there.

Archer, Tritium, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  4. ulackfocus Feb 8, 2016

[rant]

Why yes, you are missing something....

THE THREAD AT THE VERY TOP OF THE WANTED TO BUY FORUM THAT HAS A TITLE IN ALL CAPS WHICH SPELLS OUT THE RULES. You know, the one that starts with "PLEASE READ"? :rolleyes:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/please-read-new-security-measures-for-the-sales-sections.16997/

Seriously, how many of these threads are we gonna have? :unsure: Doesn't anyone do anything more than a cursory glance? Is reading comprehension a lost art? I wonder how many new products were broken because people didn't bother to read the instructions?

[/rant]

...... oh, the temptation to lay an avatar message on some of these n00bs...... :whipped: :cautious:

lando, jimdgreat1, OSP and 2 others like this.
  5. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Feb 8, 2016

Things come with instructions?

6. ulackfocus Feb 8, 2016

Funny guy. :D Thanks for the fodder!

7. Ericoh Feb 8, 2016

The 200 struggle is real!!!

ulackfocus likes this.
  8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 8, 2016

And for good reason.

Willem023 and ulackfocus like this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 8, 2016

You don't need 200 posts to PM people who list watches for sale that may interest you; you just can't post directly in their FS thread. And you can't start a WTB thread either. I would consider both of those to be good things, as those hurdles have ensured I have only bought 3 watches since joining this forum a few months ago.

Alternatively, you could get to 200 posts by contributing often to the new "What did you make today?" thread. One good reply would be to open with "Hot monkey love to my wife..." Be careful though, they may want pics :)

aap, Baz9614 and airbag like this.
  10. Severin Feb 8, 2016

Am I that transparent?

In seriousness, to the OP, as expanded on elsewhere on the Forum, the 200 post condition - while not being a sole indicator of trustworthiness - serves everyone, including buyers. Trust, knowledge and humour and goodwill are among the most important currencies in a place like this and I am sure you won't have any trouble finding ways to get involved. As a noob myself I can appreciate where you might be coming from. My advice would be to not be so hard on youself - no one expects a noob to be an expert. You can still have lots of fun and share the passion (even if it's of a hot monkey love variety, subject to applicable state, federal and international laws, of course). Welcome to the Forum and I look forward to seeing you around.

airbag likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2016

Read the rules, you don't have to have 200 posts, that is just one avenue. You can provide a history and references for sales or dealings in other venues for evaluation by the staff here.

OSP likes this.
  12. Davidt Feb 8, 2016

The 200 rule's great.

This isn't a sales forum, it's a discussion forum that offers a sales platform as a benefit for contributing members.

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2016

I'll sell you some of my posts at 50c and post. You need about 195 so that's 97 dollars through wire transfer or cash.

Nitzbar, about3blank, aap and 4 others like this.
  14. ulackfocus Feb 8, 2016

For Sale listings belong in the correct forum!

15. airbag Feb 8, 2016

Thanks for the smilies.. remind me not to buy a watch off you!
    I did read the rules... just questioning why someone seriously considering buying an Omega Speedmaster from a reputable seller cannot post an advert requesting as much. Its all new to me.. I know what i want... just wanted to locate someone helpful enough to source it with industry knowledge to find a good one.

Im going to try BlackTalon's helpful approach..
    you could get to 200 posts by contributing often to the new "What did you make today?" thread. One good reply would be to open with "Hot monkey love to my wife..."

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 8, 2016

right, but then he will need 200 posts just to buy my posts and at that point...well, he won't need them!!

Oh, this is so unfair!

ulackfocus likes this.
  17. lillatroll Feb 8, 2016

To be fair, when one starts looking at all the beautiful watches on here, it's hard not want everything you see. That said I like the fact that you have to get known as it were, and make some contributions to the comnunity, before buying or selling watches as it allows people to get an idea of who you are which in turn builds trust between buyers and sellers alike.

Perseus, aap and airbag like this.
  18. airbag Feb 8, 2016

Youve a good point there.
    So in that case, I wont take BlackTalons approach... I may end up getting sold a watch thats not suitable for purpose :)

19. Egatdagi Feb 8, 2016

There are conflicting messages on this forum guys. There are a LOT of "how do I start watch collecting without getting screwed" threads on this forum and in almost every one someone says buy a watch from the members listing in the for sale thread. When the "noob" goes to the FS thread they are told they aren't allowed to do anything there. 200 posts is a lot of posts for someone who wants to buy their first watch with confidence. A lot of first timers don't know about PMs so cut them a little slack. Posting replies about how much you hate "noobs" and why are we doing this again doesn't make people feel very welcome here. Frankly, it's insulting to call someone a "noob" no matter how many Smileys you put in your message. This isn't a Call of Duty server.

20. airbag Feb 8, 2016

Well said that man!
    I wish I could have come up with those fine words...

Als 27 likes this.