Forums Latest Members
  1. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

Hi,

I'm looking to buy this rolex sub 5513 from 1978 with a maxi dial mk1. Serial number 5.4....

The owner says it's all original except for the rolex service bezel. I also get the damaged fat font bezel with it as you can seen on the pics.

I cannot see anything that is wrong with it, am i missing something?

Can anyone confirm that this is an all original 5513?

Edited Jun 3, 2015
  2. mappleluna Jun 1, 2015

Hi

Looks good. A bit polished but good. Crazy patina, it's very attractive !

Edited Jun 1, 2015
  3. Fost Jun 1, 2015

killing patina ! :)

mine say hello (same year but MKII ...) ...i think your dial / hand on my watch will make my grail 5113 !
    image.jpg

4. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

It's not bad, everything depends on the price. It's missing the pearl, i wouldn't say that the patina is the most attractive, it looks a bit uneven, darker near 12 o'clock. It's missing the original steel bracelet. Crystal is probably a service replacement but it's hard to find one with the original t19 superdome. I'd only get it if the price was REALLY good, otherwise there are tons of 5513 out there, keep looking and compare lots of different watches!

5. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

thanks for your replies guys!

6. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

great watch. your bezel looks awesome

7. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

Here are the different domes, the superdome is the original, it's not really important. There is probably a reason why they changed it and i guess the newer ones are more functional.

You can get a good look at the original superdome in this video...

dome.jpg
  8. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

Thanks.

I had that a 5513 with the white gold markers like in that video before this one and the dome on that one was different than i have now.

This looks to be a service dome since it goes straight up and then with a curve and the dome and superdome seem to curve right away on that pic.
    but i still think it's pretty hard to tell if i do not have watches with them on it in my hand :)

9. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

You can tell because the superdome creates a distortion on the dial from certain angles! Just like on a speedy!

10. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

Ok thanks. It does not do that so it's not the superdome.

What would you say is a decent price for a watch like this?

11. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

I know the going rates in europe. I'd expect to see it for sale at about 5,000 euros (the matte dial has a premium over the one with white gold surrounds) so a good price would be anything less than that! You can probably find a pearl on ebay. How much did you pay for it?

12. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

I paid 6500 euro. There is no way you can have a good looking 5513 with Mk1 dial for 5000 euro's or less. Most are atleast in the 6-8K range depending on condition.

I already have a tritium pearl coming my way from ebay :)

mappleluna likes this.
  13. Zuke Jun 1, 2015

Congrats! Great looking watch

14. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

Challenge accepted! No i'm joking. I was talking about the 5513 in general (matte dial). It's a hard watch to buy, you really have to study up on it, as i'm sure you did. Once i found a really perfect 5513 from 1982 but i didn't go for it as it just didn't look vintage, the plots were snow white and i didn't know if the dial had been refinished. That's why i started this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-much-undisclosed-refinishing-goes-on.25570/page-2#post-286645

I still have a lot to learn! But it's an enjoyable hobby ;)

15. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

I learn new stuff about vintage rolex subs every day and i love it aswell.

For me the 5513 i bought is how i wanted my 5513 to be. I'd searched a pretty long time for a watch like this.

But I can understand if you rather have a lighter patina.

Plots can have a little bit of dirt on em and a dial maybe some light stains, i do not expect a vintage watch to be perfect. I want it to have lived life and seen the world, and show it in a good way :)

And that thread you posted, those watches look a bit to perfect to me. I'd not buy there.

And yes, avoid white plots in vintage subs. Cream white is better, but not snow white. Even if it's the real deal, you'd be better of buying a new sub because there is not a lof of vintage about a watch without patina in my opinion.

djmusicman likes this.
  16. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

17. DeepBlue Jun 1, 2015

It looks way too white to me to be from 1967 if it's full tritium like the seller states. Maybe it's cream white and does not show up in the picture so good, but i seriously doubt it.
    Maybe NOS parts or service dial.

But I would stay away from that watch anyway. It's supposed to look more old i think.

But i'm not an expert, so maybe someone thinks different.

18. djmusicman Jun 1, 2015

Yes, i'd be interested in others opinions too! But for me there's no way that a dial thats almost 50 years old would look like that, the bezel insert looks new, hands look pristine. Seller calls it a superdome but its certainly not the original. None of which is mentioned in the listing, i wish people were more upfront. Sometimes i see watches on Chrono but lots of sellers don't reply to questions about originality of parts etc. I'd rather have a 14060m over this. It just doesn't have a vintage look so what's the point.

persco likes this.
  19. Fost Jun 2, 2015

Congrats and welcome to the 5513 fan club :)

Another outside shot showing the real color just to give you some idea for your next bezel insert :)
    image.jpg

Juan likes this.
  20. DeepBlue Jun 2, 2015

I need one just like that. Amazing!