Forums Latest Members

Wannabuyawatch – the misrepresentations continue

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 13, 2017

Some members know that I have previously called out this well-known California-based dealer several times for serious, and frankly inexcusable misrepresentations of watches. One might have thought that the owner of the company would have been inclined to tighten the ship out of embarrassment, if for no other reason, but judged by this recent addition, that hasn't happened:

https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/zenith-automatic-18k-gold-circa-1958-pristine/

First off, to characterize a watch that has a badly degraded case due to heavy over-polishing as "pristine" is a disgrace. To price it at over treble its fair market value (note also the incorrect crown) obviously adds insult to injury.

Secondly, and it would be hilarious if it weren't so sad, the dial reads automatic, yet in the "additional information" section the movement is listed as "Zenith Chronometre calibre 135", and "manual-wind". That kind of ridiculous error reflects a long-standing and consistent lack of attention to detail on the part of the business, and reflects very poorly on it.

Furthermore, the watch is twice characterized as a "Chronometre", in spite of the fact that there is no such designation on the dial. It is certainly true that the cal. 133.8 bumper movement was capable of attaining chronometre standards, but there is no evidence – at least none that is provided – that this particular watch was certified as such.

Finally, one would think that the trumpeting of a "chronometre" movement might be buttressed by a photo, but alas, for $3,850 the prospective buyer's imagination will apparently have to suffice.

P.S. – I rarely visit the subject dealer's site, and hadn't done so since my last (related) post several weeks ago. In other words, I don't scrutinize his listings hoping to pounce. On the contrary, the owner is so remarkably sloppy that there seems to be low-hanging fruit available to be plucked on a regular basis.

2. aap Sep 13, 2017

::facepalm1::

STANDY likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 14, 2017

Edited Sep 14, 2017
    aap likes this.
  4. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 14, 2017

Le sigh...shady dealers offering stuff for stupid prices. It's unfortunate that it's a sting for rhe buyer if they find out just how much is done; with the advent of fashion and fitness watches though, that itch of a vintage watch is too convincing for many people who want something 'different,' and they may never get the chance to research (or bother about it.)

5. dialstatic Sep 14, 2017

To be fair, it is in line with what I would expect from a shop that calls itself wanna buy a watch?

IMG_3806.JPG

Edited Sep 14, 2017
    sdre, Timmert, yinzerniner and 8 others like this.
  6. M'Bob Sep 14, 2017

To be fair...nope, I'm not going there...:)

Tony C., wkimmd and Skrotis like this.
  7. spiralkladd Sep 14, 2017

Me neither...

8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Sep 14, 2017

42400big.jpg
  9. wkimmd Sep 14, 2017

::rimshot::