Forums Latest Members

SOLD Waltham Bathyscaphe "Baby Blancpain" Diver

1. bristnj Mar 2, 2018

I hate to let this watch go, but the opportunity presented itself to buy another piece I've had my eye on, and I have to fund the purchase as I am not independently wealthy! :(

For your consideration is a 1960's Waltham Bathyscaphe style diver - otherwise known as a "Baby Blancpain". These Waltham divers were introduced in the late 1950's and were made through the 1960's. They were made by Blancpain for Waltham, and you can see the DNA in the styling, fit and finish. These are rare birds, and don't come-up often.

The size of 34mm and the watch is powered by a AS 1686 manual movement. As seen by the watchmakers mark, the movement was serviced in March 2013. It is currently running well and keeps excellent time.

The bakelite bezel is the "star of the show" and is in excellent shape, no cracks and all hash-marks and numerals are in tact. There is a small mark of the steel ring between 7 & 8

The dial is lovely, with the right amount of patina you would expect in a 50 year old piece. Lume on the dial and hands is original. Crystal is in very nice shape, no chips, scratches or crazing.

The case shows normal signs of use for a vintage watch, one very slight ding on the left lug as shown. The case back has some tool marks, but all etching is clear, intact and legible.

I've tried to capture all of above in my pictures. Overall the condition of this watch is one of the nicest out there.

I am asking $1850 with choice of Tropic Black, Tropic Brown or Alligator grain strap - all shown in pictures. I also have a Beads of Rice with 19mm ends and will sell with the watch for $2000. Either purchase option includes shipping. Shipping via FedEx or UPS with full coverage via ParcelPro insurance. Payment via PayPal or Bank-wire.

Prefer a sale in the CONUS, but will consider international sale based on the reputation of the buyer.

Please message me with questions or interest. Thanks for the space and for looking! Jeff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 3, 2018
  2. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 2, 2018

I rarely comment on others sales posts but this is a tremendous watch and an absolutely amazing price considering what it is and recent auction sales of these. Worth noting is that this is a the much rarer stainless steel model, most of the others are chrome plated cases but these steel ones are truly rare things. Possibly also worth knowing is that this exact model of watch was owned and worn by Paul Newman before he got his famous Daytona and he wore it in one of his films

Edited Mar 2, 2018
    Kiedo, sdre, watch3s and 5 others like this.
  3. bristnj Mar 2, 2018

@Tom Dick - Arrrrgggg your not making this any easier for me!! :unsure: Thanks for the great input. You are absolutely correct on the stainless steel case vs. plated. If the back says "Stainless Steel Back" the case was a plated case.

Here is one of the articles regarding the Newman connection:

https://www.deployant.com/a-followu...and-our-positive-identification-of-the-watch/

If anyone feels like using Google Translate, here is a nice write-up on the styles and history by a friend of my in France about these:

https://chronographes.net/2017/10/21/waltham-bathyscaphe-la-baby-blancpain/

Edited Mar 2, 2018
    Momoleskine likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 2, 2018

I’d have a very hard time parting with this as well.

watch3s and bristnj like this.
  5. SeanO Mar 2, 2018

Surely you still have some children you could sell instead?

bristnj likes this.
  6. bristnj Mar 3, 2018

I strongly considered that option, especially with the costs of college approaching........but Mrs. Bristnj squashed the idea almost immediately upon hearing it! :whipped:

7. bristnj Mar 4, 2018

OHPF. Thanks for the interest!

8. bristnj Mar 5, 2018

SOLD. Thank you OF and Buyer!

R3D9 likes this.