Forums Latest Members

Walking around and starting to learn about Omega's (and maybe other watches)

1. 2Bealive Oct 29, 2016

Hi

I am very new to this, only starting to read about them now, but I live in a town with lots of second hand shops so have started to look at watches to get a feel for quality and cost. Also like seeing the different ones available.

I am trying to keep my focus on Omega's only, makes learning easier, but are noticing some other brands as I walk around. Don't know enough to make a judgment on rare, expensive, quality, fake so simply looking at watches that I like.

Thought I will start this thread and share some of the watches I see/find. Comments, views, observations, identification of watches will be appreciated, will help me to learn and make the books more real and one day guide buying decisions.

Edited Oct 30, 2016
  2. 2Bealive Oct 29, 2016

Watch # 1 Omega Automatic Chronometer Digitally Certified Seamaster

Loved the simplicity and the color of the dail. Not overly fond of the band. How does one check if it is the original band and does it matter?

Shows some "erosion" on the sides. Think this is definitely on my wish list.

IMG_0813.jpg IMG_0810.jpg

Edited Oct 30, 2016
    nurseford25 likes this.
  3. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 29, 2016

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing what you come across. Where are you located?

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2016

A sparkle 168.0023 is a good choice.

oddboy and Jwit like this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 29, 2016

That's a good reference to start with. The dials are hard to fake or redo. You'd want to make sure the movement is correct. It should be cal.751 given the dial and the chronometer designation. I don't know if there's a specific range of movement numbers for these, but I've seen them in the 29m or so up to 32m.

Try to get some more pics, including inside of caseback and the movement. Also, if you care to, share the price.

Welcome aboard the Rollercoaster!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/seamaster-chronometer-168-023-sparkly.47586/

6. 2Bealive Oct 29, 2016

In South Africa, was in Cape Town today.

7. 2Bealive Oct 30, 2016

I am away this week, will go back next weekend. Is it OK to ask to open a watch, I assume the serial number and movement number is inside?

8. 2Bealive Oct 30, 2016

In terms of price, lost track of this one's. What price range should I be exspecting?

9. 2Bealive Oct 30, 2016

Watch # 2 Omega Automatic Geneve Dynamic

Mmm, think this is an acquired taste, but very striking. Looks like a diving dress watch. What does the Dynamic refer to?

I could not get a photo from behind. Some scratches on the crystal. Looks more modern than the others, only saw one of these types in all the shops.

IMG_0823.jpg
  10. 2Bealive Nov 3, 2016

Take it this is not a exciting one?

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 3, 2016

In terms of band or strap, these generally have no meaning unless they are original or have an original buckle, both of which are rare. A little like the tires on a vintage car.
    Metal bracelets do add some value though it depends on model.
    There are quite a few dynamics around with various dials, take a look on ebay and you will see the different configurations.