Forums Latest Members
  1. Wilb4 Jan 18, 2021

Hi all. I was given this Wakmann watch by my grandfather when I was in high school. It sat in a drawer for almost 30 years. I just got it serviced and it seems to be working fine. I’ve looked at tons of images of Wakmann watches on the internet but have yet to see one like it. Is there any way to get information on this watch? Thanks for the help!

IMG_3442.jpg IMG_3443.jpg IMG_3444.jpg
  2. Wlcutter Jan 18, 2021

That's a great watch. I'm sure someone with more expertise will be along soon enough, but: you've got a Broad Arrow chronograph, more than likely running a Valjoux 7733 or something similar. Here's a great example by LeJour; you'll note the case, hands, and bezel are identical to yours, and the dial's all but identical, minus the placement of some text. These broad-arrow 2-register chronos were fairly common, at the time, were made for a variety of companies, and the only thing that'd really change would be the logo on the dial (the same thing happened with other chronographs too, of course). On your example, you've got a Breitling crown, for whatever it's worth.

Anyway: it's a great watch. Wear it in good health.

red crowned and Wilb4 like this.
  3. Wilb4 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks for the reply. Nice to have a little context. Any idea about when this watch might have been purchased? It was given to me in the early 90’s...

4. Wlcutter Jan 18, 2021

Would've been late 1960s, early 1970s.

5. Wlcutter Jan 18, 2021

Sorry, jumped the gun on that: conceivably, pulling the caseback and finding out its movement might help date it a little, tho I don't know how much.

6. cvalue13 Jan 18, 2021

Some marginally helpful context:

https://monochrome-watches.com/the-vintage-corner-history-of-wakmann-watch-company-american-brand/

http://www.woundforlife.com/2015/07/20/lessons-in-wristory-whats-a-wakmann/

https://thewatchforum.co.uk/index.p...mann-breitling-and-the-wakmann-watch-company/

Though, as I understand it, there are those who dispute/scowl at the notion that Wakmann be confused with a Breitling. Wakmann marketed various watches/movements by various sources, as I understand it; though I do remember a Breitling crown (as with yours) being a general indication that a particular watch in question may have been a Breitling-based watch marketed by Wakmann (whatever that might mean).

Wilb4 likes this.
  7. Norfolk Jan 18, 2021

CASD style case and bezel. Singer dial made circa 1969 with browning lacquer. T on dial post 1963. Probably VJ. Check out similar Chronomaster models by Croton and Nivada.

8. Norfolk Jan 18, 2021

Here’s one of mine for cross reference 0A757812-4CEE-4262-94F9-80B11810E886.jpeg

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 18, 2021

The blue shaded area on the minute counter is for sailboat racing starts.

Wilb4 likes this.
  10. Wilb4 Jan 18, 2021

Makes sense... my grandfather was sailor.

11. Wilb4 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks for the info. I never knew that watch styles/pieces were shared by different brands. I know that ultimately this is a matter of opinion but is this I watch I should have any misgivings about wearing casually on a daily basis? Looks like prices on the similar ones you mentioned range from a few hundred to almost three thousand dollars... I know mines not mint but I’d hate to lose or damage it.

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 18, 2021

Breitling and Wakmann were comarketing so your crown makes sense. It’s a great piece..make sure you service it.