Forums Latest Members
  1. lando Sep 16, 2015

How is it possible, that it took almost two years to get a bought watch? Maybe, this is the question, that comes to mind.

Well, there are a lot of factors. There was a complex plan to begin with, a delay by Omega, communication trouble with Steve the watchmaker and behind all this, some naivety from my side at the start of the journey. I learned a lot in dealing with this, that's for sure.

First, the buying

It was an eBay offer, not the best of pictures, but promising. It looked like a "barn find" with aged, good looking luminous markers and a rough but original bezel. The very badly documented 1039 bracelet was a definite plus.

I sniped it on the 19th January 2014 and went contacting possible watchmakers in the US, as it was shipped US only. Steve (Thanks OF for the hint) was of great help and accepted the work.

_12.JPG
    Auction Picture

Second, arriving at the watchmaker

On the 24th January shipping by USPS was initiated, three days later the watch arrived at Steve. While I prefer to see a watch in the flesh before handing it over to a watchmaker, assessment by Steve was great and there were a lot of eMails going both ways to decide on how to proceed. Key statements of mine: "I want a 321 as close as possible to original condition." / "Please make sure NOT to polish the case."

IMG_2031.JPG Incoming picture by Steve

That's it for now. Will be writing down that story further.

to be continued...

Edited Sep 16, 2015
    kov, x3no, Eric_navi and 4 others like this.
  2. JohnSteed Sep 16, 2015

Wow. Do you have your watch now? Can't stand the suspense...

::popcorn::

3. lando Sep 16, 2015

Yes, i got the watch two days ago. This story has a happy ending. :)

4. M.D. Sep 16, 2015

Great way to kick off a thread. Can't wait to read the next chapter.

5. Davidt Sep 16, 2015

Looks like a great start. Lovely original dial and hands.

When's the next installment? I'll read it when my girlfriends watching Corra...

6. lando Sep 16, 2015

Third, waiting for the part

A Preik-caseback and a recent bracelet were bought by me and sent to Steve. The other parts were ordered by Steve. One of them (the crown) was on backorder by Omega. Weeks became months and when it arrived the vintage Omega-Logo, that should have been on it, was not present (the crown was blank). Steve was optimistic, that the desired one will be delivered eventually. Some time later i had to decide, that the original crown will have to be used. I am happy, i did that, even though the watch isn't properly sealed now.

image005.jpg
    My watch with original crown under a case Steve had refinished before taking the picture. This picture convinced me, that i didn't want a recent logo on the crown.

Fourth, communication breakdown

At the end of 2014 and the beginning of this year, while still waiting for the correct crown (the wrong one was already sent back), i did not get any signs of life from Steve. I was really worried, as his lack of response was not a good sign (anything could have happened). It took more than four months until i heard from him and we could clear everything up, including the change of plans concerning the crown.

That's it for now. Will be writing down that story further.

to be continued... (next chapters available in about 15 hours)

kov likes this.
  7. Eric_navi Sep 16, 2015

What a beautiful example. The good news is your watch has appreciated strongly during transit ... !

8. alam Sep 16, 2015

this must be a new record! ::popcorn::

9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 16, 2015

:whistling: The suspense is killing me.

LawBrk likes this.
  10. lando Sep 17, 2015

Fifth, shipping insurance?

As the carriers do exclude watches from insurance (while they do accept premiums paid, i know that from experience), i was searching for a way to bring the watch over the atlantic. I contacted Darren and he was of greatest help from the start. He told me when he was about to leave the US for the UK and I informed Steve of the schedule.

Sixth, what happened to the watch?

Darren demanded pictures by Steve, as part of the process. I received these the day the watch was shipped to Darren. The next day, while checking the pics my heart sank, as i saw that the dial and the hands installed did not belong to my watch. I discussed this with Darren and Steve. Steve shortly after explained, that he used the wrong dial and hand-set on my watch. He immediately called back the shipment.

before_and_after_(both_pics_taken_by_steve_schurmann)_small.jpg Both pictures taken by Steve. Side-by-side comparison by myself.

There was not much time left, when the parcel returned to Steve. Four days after that, Darren was leaving the US. Steve managed to correct the issue and sent it out again. The watch came to Darren on departure day.

to be continued... (final chapters available in about 8 hours)

kov likes this.
  11. Mothra Sep 17, 2015

how in the hell does a professional watchmaker put the wrong parts back in a watch?

Taddyangle and pascs like this.
  12. pascs Sep 17, 2015

And after service shouldnt the hour counter be at zero and not at 4.............maybe this is part of the next chapter?

13. lando Sep 17, 2015

Yes, thought the same as both of you, at the time. The explanation for the wrong parts was, that dial and hands were stored at a different place, than the other parts and there was a confusion of the parts (my dial and hands went to the other watch). That's not good, but Steve was great at fixing the mistake in the most efficient of ways. I have made a lot of mistakes in myself, this includes my professional-life. How you deal with them is the important part, in my opinion.

And no, hour counter at four isn't part of the next chapter, as i have shortened the whole story massively. But i was asking Darren to check chrono resetting, before sending the watch to me.

Edited Sep 17, 2015
  14. lando Sep 17, 2015

Seventh, Heathrow or not?

All the time i was hoping to be able to meet Darren at Heathrow for a personal handover in June. I had to skip this, which meant a further delay, as i was on a vacation July and procedures with Parcel Pro were holding us back concerning shipping.

2_dial_(darren).jpg 3_movement_(darren).jpg
    Both pictures taken by Darren. The moment I saw these, I was happier than ever up to this point on that journey

Eighth, finally!

Late in July i contacted Darren again. He was back in the US and told me, that he would return to the UK in August. This time, it worked out. I tried to insure the shipment with Parcel Pro, only to get no response from them. Shipping was incredibly fast and on the 14th September i could finally pick up my first 321! 603 days after the end of the auction!

DSC_0280.JPG
    I have taken this wrist-shot some minutes after picking up the watch. It was pure joy and happiness.

Having this watch in my possession, now, is a real pleasure. In this case it wasn't the hunt for it, but the rollercoaster-journey that followed, that makes this watch really special to me.

I would like to thank Steve for his great work and Darren for his invaluable help in this!

The End... of the story, but more to follow. More pictures (tomorrow, i hope).

kov, sulaco, x3no and 4 others like this.
  15. abrod520 Sep 17, 2015

One of my favorite things about collecting watches is the acquisition story, and this is one of the best I've heard! Congratulations on the Speedmaster, it's beautiful!

16. map782 Sep 17, 2015

Very nice watch. Well worth waiting for!

17. x3no Sep 17, 2015

Amazing story, you have patience of STEEL my friend. Glad you received the watch in all its originality!!! Enjoy it!

18. lando Sep 18, 2015

Thank you all for your posts. Well, it was the one to LEARN to have patience...

I have changed my avatar, as i do not own the watch the old one came from anymore:
    OF_avatar_old.jpg
    old

OF_avatar_new_(2860).jpg
    new

Some more pictures:
    front_small_(2809).jpg front_small_(2807).jpg crown+pushers_small_(2794).jpg side_small_(2793).jpg back_+_movement_no_sn_small_(2810).jpg caseback_inside+cover_small_(2804).jpg caseback_outside+cover_small_(2802).jpg caseback_outside_small_(2801).jpg watch_small_(2849).jpg Here with the recent 1998 bracelet. While the 1039 is a dream to look at, this one is a dream to wear (feels almost perfect).
    wrist_small_(2841).jpg wrist_morning_sun_small_(2864).jpg

And finally the great 1039 bracelet including endlinks, which i have not yet mounted:
    1039_small_(2837).jpg Yes, it is refinished, but it deserved it. It is a beauty, now. Way too long for me! 26 links, is this original length?
    1039_4_68_clasp_(2839).jpg
    4/68 should be good to have been purchased with the watch.

kov, abrod520, Jones in LA and 2 others like this.
  19. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 18, 2015

Wow, what a story! Wow, what a watch! Congratulations!

20. abrod520 Sep 18, 2015

That's so pretty... Gives me bad thoughts about adding a pre-moon to my collection alongside my 105.003 ... :)