Wait a minute, did I buy counterfeit Polywatch?

Posts
1,097
Likes
3,784
The bottom tube is what I got a seemingly great deal on. Polywatch purportedly goes for $50 a tube on AmazonJP.

Did I fall victim to a gang of transnational watch crystal polishing pirates?
 
Posts
1,827
Likes
7,373
well at least both companies exist in Germany. Probably just a sub producing the same?
 
Posts
1,241
Likes
3,840
They changed the labelling a year or two back. The bottom tube is the newer style font
 
Posts
1,097
Likes
3,784
They changed the labelling a year or two back. The bottom tube is the newer style font
Ah, a pre-2020 vintage in my collection.
 
Posts
5,076
Likes
15,712
On Amazon, I always filter for items sold and fulfilled by Amazon. There is some reasonable assurance this way that I am avoiding counterfeit items.

By the way, the second tube you bought is made my Stark (AKA Ultraman) so it’s for speedmasters only ::rimshot::

 
Posts
10,066
Likes
57,374
Just use toothpaste. It works just as well and your watch will smell minty fresh. Novus polish also works and it’s MUCH less expensive.
 
Posts
1,308
Likes
3,094
Solvol Autosol ( chrome cleaner) works very well and will polish other metals as well.
 
Posts
1,556
Likes
3,119
Buying items sold and shipped by Amazon may improve your chances of getting a genuine product but be aware that Amazon may utilize fulfillment partners' warehouse items to fulfill your order more quickly. I read this some time ago and cannot find the reference to it any longer.

I just assume that Amazon - like eBay - has no real concern about counterfeit products until it becomes a problem and minimize my contact with them.
 
Posts
96
Likes
115
Amazon also mixes their stock with that of sellers who they ship for from Amazon warehouses. Selecting Amazon as the seller doesn't guarantee you won't get a counterfeit item.
 
Posts
782
Likes
1,386
Talking about counterfeit, I realized that I recently bought a (most likely) counterfeit Renata battery off eBay. Dude had about 1500 positive feedback so I thought he probably sells legit stuff.

Nope. Battery was almost dead on arrival - even though it had a "good by 2025" date on it. Exhibited all the characteristics of a fake battery. Threw it out and bought a legit Energizer from the drugstore.

At least the eBay seller gave me a refund when I said battery was no good. I couldn't prove it was fake, though.
 
Posts
2,989
Likes
4,747
I bought a tube from Otto Frei when I purchaced the oil. The packaging is insane. Like an iPhone accessory. Complete with QR code.



(note the tube in the back is generic locktite , the batteries are dead.)

-j
 
Posts
1,556
Likes
3,119
Talking about counterfeit, I realized that I recently bought a (most likely) counterfeit Renata battery off eBay. Dude had about 1500 positive feedback so I thought he probably sells legit stuff.

Nope. Battery was almost dead on arrival - even though it had a "good by 2025" date on it. Exhibited all the characteristics of a fake battery. Threw it out and bought a legit Energizer from the drugstore.

At least the eBay seller gave me a refund when I said battery was no good. I couldn't prove it was fake, though.

I order from Renata authorized dealers only - mostly Mouser - for exactly this reason. Nice that you got a refund, though. It's a jungle out there.
 
Posts
4,331
Likes
12,696
The bottom tube is what I got a seemingly great deal on. Polywatch purportedly goes for $50 a tube on AmazonJP.

Did I fall victim to a gang of transnational watch crystal polishing pirates?

$50!? The last time I bought poly watch is was something like $5. Was it affected by Covid scarcity or something?
 
Posts
1,097
Likes
3,784
$50!? The last time I bought poly watch is was something like $5. Was it affected by Covid scarcity or something?
There’s no rhyme or reason to the pricing of certain items on AmazonJP. The Polywatch I bought was about $5.