Forums Latest Members

Wabi-Sabi or Crappy Relume?

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

I bought a 1976 6105-8119 and wanted to get some insight into whether the lume is original and heavily degraded or an older crappy relume.

The lume has degraded and separated from the binder, flaking off. The indices do not appear to have been polished, have corrosion, and the SEIKO has oxidized black. The hands show corrosion and the same lume degradation. The overall appearance of the watch points towards original well used condition with moisture damage...but could easily be an awful old relume. I just don't know. Once moisture gets in there, you never know what will happen.

I don't have any experience with vintage Seiko, and lume degradation like this on any other watch would make run for the hills, but I figured what the hell...it is a Seiko beater and problems can be easily remedied.

If the lume is original, I plan on replacing the crystal, cleaning the dial, and leaving it in the wabi-sabi state. If the lume is not original, I will contemplate having it properly relumed and the hands replaced.

Thanks for the insight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2016

Bad relume. Looks like no enough binder put with powder. Second had should have a red square

image.jpeg image.jpeg

watchknut likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 20, 2016

Looks like the lume and hands weren't water resistant.

Foo2rama and watchknut like this.
  4. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

Thank you sir, that is what I thought too, but wanted to check...couldn't find any other original examples with such degradation.

Looks like a trip to Jack is in order.

5. omegadave Apr 20, 2016

I own two 6105's (1971 & 1972) - both original owner pieces and never services.

One is absolute mint and sat in a drawer all its life.

The second one was worn by a Vietnam vet and diving instructor. The watch was heavily used and had signs of water damage on the hands similair your photo.

I left that watch in direct sun light for a few days and the dial and hands actually crusted up and helped to "clear up" the hands like your photo.

My input is that it's legit.

The stop sign seconds hand should be red, but it may just be heavily faded and covered up partially by the crusting.

Edited Apr 20, 2016
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

Do you have any pics? Based on the fact that the rest of the watch seems untouched, the relume seemed a bit odd, but you never know.

Thanks for the input.

7. omegadave Apr 20, 2016

See below for my examples.

The top photo shows the original condition it was in. Moisture damage darkened the lume near the center of the hands.

The bottom photo shows what the same watch looks like after it was "sun bleached" for a few days my mistake. The lume started to get crusty and developed a white chalk - almost like the lume was evaporating?

I can mostly guarantee the watches were never opened and is correct original condition. So you may be able to use my example as a reference point.

-----

s-l1600-1.jpg unnamed-5.jpg
    Edited Apr 20, 2016
  8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 20, 2016

Thank you sir, a huge help.

9. cimo Apr 20, 2016

Could always leave as-is and use as a snowglobe! I kid, I kid. I would probably have that relumed, or at least de-lumed. Better than letting the dial make a mess of itself.

watchknut and STANDY like this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 21, 2016

Snowglobe fixed...for the time being. I removed the movt cleaned the back of the crystal and blew off the dial.

Surprisingly the movement is a cherry and is keeping perfect time...literally, perfect against the atomic clock.

The dial is in great shape other than the lume issue. Based on the overall condition, and that another member's watch has a similar flaking issue, I am leaning towards a new crystal ans gaskets and leaving it as it.

Thanks for the input.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 21, 2016

If you don't fix the lume issue all the silver lume boxes will turn black like some are already turning. Just look at the hands.

Don't think yours is the same as the other person has posted.