Forums Latest Members
  1. comexchris Jun 11, 2019

Evening all

What value you place on this SM. I have had offers of trades and various prices offered, Just now looking for some credible advise on it's value.
    The watch watch was re archived under exactly the same movement number after taking advise from Omega. It was originally archived in 2013 with delivery to Mexico. Omega inspected the watch and confirmed that the case, dial, hands, bezel, case back and crystal were all original. Post inspection I subsequently re archived the watch earlier this year asking for the records to be checked and any additional information provided. The archive extract confirms that it is a W10 that was delivered to the British Army in 1967.
    My question is what is a fair price? SM1.JPG SM3.JPG SM4.JPG SM5.JPG SM6.JPG SM7.JPG SM8.JPG SM300 2.JPG SM300 3.JPG SM9..jpg
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Etp095 likes this.
  2. Patrik83 Jun 11, 2019

Sorry don’t know to much about the value but it’s quite interesting that it now have a totally different delivery country and extra info.

How did Omega reach out to you about new info? Gets me thinking on how many are out there with wrong info...

Etp095 likes this.
  3. Dan S Jun 11, 2019

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. I will let others comment on value if they care to do so. I guess it's quite unusual to see these without a circle-T dial, so perhaps that makes it special. However, as you probably know, several of these with circle-T dials have come to auction in recent years.

Regarding the documentation, I'll just say that this type of thing is what drives people crazy about the way Omega handles Extracts.

Edit: Here is another thread about your watch: https://omegaforums.net/threads/today’s-auction-of-an-165-024-seamaster-300-“military”.90296/

Edited Jun 11, 2019
    Etp095, Patrik83 and Foo2rama like this.
  4. comexchris Jun 11, 2019

Thank you for the reply.

It does raise some obvious questions surrounding extracts. As the previous owner of the watch has sold it for a value based on the extract he obtained and paid for. Given the value of the military SM's one would think that omega may spend some time accounting for watches that were produced in a separate file. After all once they are recorded in a digital file a simple search of Military would filter out the examples.

Etp095 likes this.
  5. Davidt Jun 11, 2019

Am I missing something here?

How/why have Omega suddenly come to the conclusion it was delivered to the UK and not Mexico?!

6. greenecollector Jun 11, 2019

FWIW this is not the first W10 that has/had an extract stating delivery to Mexico.

210/67 was also listed as delivered via Mexico on its extract although this was a 719 movement not 723.

How or why this is the case I have no idea.

I could theorise that they were part of a shipment destined for Mexico and pulled at the last minute to fulfil and MOD order?

Watches in this issue number range seem to have mostly escaped the screw crown upgrade so it does make me wonder if they were shipped to a different unit.

In any case, the serial is perfectly well in range for a W10 and looks all correct including the no-T dial.

As for value, anyone's guess these days but I would suggest around £20k would be the low end...

Etp095 likes this.
  7. Davidt Jun 11, 2019

So the 'new' extract triples the value?

Etp095 likes this.
  8. Dan S Jun 11, 2019

Ultraman Effect.

Etp095, Mark020 and chronoboy64 like this.
  9. Davidt Jun 11, 2019

Yup.

::screwloose::

Etp095 and chronoboy64 like this.
  10. Dan S Jun 11, 2019

Did Omega do the case-back engraving, or did the MoD? If the latter, how does the Omega archives know about the engraving?

Etp095 likes this.
  11. greenecollector Jun 11, 2019

If I'm correct the sale price was £6.5k on the other thread then this was a great buy.

From what I've seen good civi 165.024's have sold for 2 x that so it's not the fact that the extract has added value, just it undersold I'd say.

However, the extract may not have helped it along...

Edited Jun 11, 2019
    Etp095 likes this.
  12. comexchris Jun 11, 2019

One would assume that Omega engraved the watches otherwise how would they issue archive extracts stating either W10 or 0552 engraved.

Etp095 likes this.
  13. greenecollector Jun 11, 2019

Search on the subject and there are numerous posts from recent months discussing this topic in quite some detail.

The case backs were not engraved by Omega.

watchyouwant, omegaman and LarryG like this.
  14. Dan S Jun 11, 2019

Looks like the winning bid was 7200 GBP. Not sure whether that includes buyer's premium and VAT, which would take it to about 9,000 GBP. IMO, that would be a pretty strong price for a civilian 165.024 with some condition issues (cracked bezel, modest polishing). Still, it didn't get the full price of a documented military piece and the new extract could certainly double the value.

https://bid.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/66/lot/47584?url=/m/search?page=11

Etp095 and Davidt like this.
  15. comexchris Jun 11, 2019

Thank you

Your knowledge and input is greatly appreciated.

16. Dan S Jun 11, 2019

The most interesting thread on the topic was last Fall, and it was deleted (or at least heavily redacted) because it became very adversarial. There was a follow-up thread (https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...-information-is-in-there-and-what-isnt.83475/) intended to resurrect the worthwhile part of the thread, but it wasn't so successful.

IIRC, the provocative part of the previous thread was the implication that Omega will sometimes include information on the Extract that is not actually in the archives, but provided to them by the owner, such as the presence of an orange sweep hand (or perhaps an engraving). And I believe (but please correct me if I'm mis-remembering) that there were other examples of two Extracts for the same watch, where additional information was provided the second time, after it was supplied by the owner. Some members felt that certain owners (or auction houses) were able to exert leverage to obtain Extracts with favorable information. I have no dog in this fight, just trying to remember what was said at the time.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized I am taking this thread somewhat off-topic.

Edited Jun 11, 2019
    Etp095, DaveK and watchyouwant like this.
  17. comexchris Jun 11, 2019

I Paid a little over £9k including the fees. I just liked the watch and thought it would make an interesting and different occasional wear, dial and hands looked good and the crystal gave it a bit of character. It was only after a few people pointed out that a Mexico delivery did not make any sense that i had Omega re inspect the watch.

Etp095 and Dan S like this.
  18. Dan S Jun 11, 2019

It's a very appealing watch IMO. And asking Omega to take another look was a very smart move indeed. :thumbsup:

19. greenecollector Jun 11, 2019

It was a good buy.

Intrigued about this Mexico delivery - can it be a simple mistake on two mil delivery watches?

Unlikely.

So either my previous theory or an alternate is that somehow the handwriting in the ledgers at Omega makes MOD look like Mexico - let's see if any others show up in future with a Mexico extract.

Strange in any case.

20. Davidt Jun 11, 2019

Can you clarify what "reinspect the watch" means.

Presumably the watch didn't go to Bienne but you simply provided the serial asker the normal extract process? If so, did Omega simply send back an extract specifying a UK delivery or did you prompt them or provide any further info, such as case back engraving, fixed spring bars etc?