Forums Latest Members
  1. SpeedyMcNasty Dec 22, 2018

i did a quick search before starting this thread, some chatter, but not much. I am considering a Nautical, either heritage or trophy. Not a huge fan of polished cases or vintage lume so the trophy is the front runner. Anyone have experience with this piece? Would love a review and even some photos. I am a big fan of manual wind and plexi crystals, and have always been interested in the alarm complication. Thanks!

2. waking-crickets Dec 23, 2018

I've had a Nautical Trophy in rotation for the last three or four years. It's the watch that got me interested in, and collecting the alarm complication.

It's a fun watch that gets a lot of comments. Although 42mm, it's a thick watch, so wears bigger than its dimensions would suggest. This is in large part due to the thick, domed crystal.

I've not noticed the watch running slow or fast. It seems to be a very good timekeeper.

My big complaint would be that reading time down to the minute is difficult because the minutes track is printed in blue on black. The white track, in contrast, is for setting the alarm and is easy to read. Go figure.

The dive tables are interesting, but I've never used them.

SpeedyMcNasty likes this.
  3. SpeedyMcNasty Dec 29, 2018

That is great info, thanks!

I hadn’t thought of the lack of contrast between the dial and minute track, great insight. Do you have a measurement on thickness? Vulcain website doesn’t have the info, I couldn’t find it in any of the Hodinkee articles either.

4. waking-crickets Dec 30, 2018

I think it's on the order of 17mm thick to the top of the domed crystal. These might give you some idea of how the watch wears on the wrist. My wrists are pretty skinny (6.5-6.75 inches) and kind of have an oval cross section.

The inner blue track is the minutes track. The white outer track (just inside the hour markers) is the alarm track (in 5 min marks). And yes, when you use the dive table complication, it can definitely make the minutes track useless.

DSCF1863.jpg DSCF1865.jpg

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 30, 2018

I know, I know, de gustibus non est disputandum and all, but... I’m having trouble wrapping my mind around this :confused:

37C3624F-F2D3-487E-B9BF-084DF19F861B.jpeg

mario linus and SpeedyMcNasty like this.
  6. waking-crickets Dec 30, 2018

I think the difference is... that is actually vintage lume, and not recent lume made to look vintage (fauxtina).

SpeedyMcNasty and MMMD like this.
  7. SpeedyMcNasty Dec 31, 2018

That is probably a little thicker then expected, but not unreasonable given the domed crystal and the triple case back. I do really like domed plexi crystals. The way it is profiled id imagine it still fits under most shirt cuffs.

8. SpeedyMcNasty Dec 31, 2018

I guess saying I wasn’t a fan of new “aged” lume would have been more appropriate. Can never argue with the real thing.

MMMD likes this.
  9. waking-crickets Dec 31, 2018

Not any of my cuffs!