Forums Latest Members
  1. DLim Nov 17, 2021

hi everyone, my first post on this forum (so my apologies if this is not appropriate).

I just started collecting vintage watches and like most beginners I started researching and bidding on ebay watches. I saw this Vulcain and it had few minutes remaining and I bid on it without even finding out much information (I know it was careless). I won it at a cheap price but now I'm scrambling to find out whether if it's even worth cleaning/overhauling it at all.

Anyone knows the history of this watch? it's definitely not an expensive watch for sure.

Thank you in advance.

Dennis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dan S Nov 17, 2021

I don't know, but that's an FHF movement, probably cal 96, marked Vulcain. Is the case also marked Vulcain? If so, it's probably legit. My main concern is that the movement holder looks a bit home-made, so there's a chance that the movement and dial have been re-cased. I'd look for similar examples using google images.

Deafboy likes this.
  3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 17, 2021

Case looks like the chrome-plated variety.

4. DLim Nov 17, 2021

Thank you very much for the reply! I just cross checked the case and it's show WMR which is actually a Hong Kong case. I researched a bit and I believe when Vulcain was hit by the crisis in the 70s, they started sourcing cases from Hong Kong which could mean why it ended up here. The watch probably isn't worth much so I'll be learning to dismantle and try to "fix" it myself!

Thank you again!

Dennis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DLim Nov 17, 2021

@Deafboy , thank you. I would say it does. Truly appreciate the feedback. It's what makes collecting vintage watches fun, i.e. you win some you lose some.

Dennis

6. Nepomuceño Nov 17, 2021

Found one that Hodinkee sold somehow for $900 :eek: not so sure that it is worth that much but as @Dan S said it looks to be FHF cal 96 and its a chrome case. No pictures of the movement however.

7. DLim Nov 17, 2021

@Nepomuceño , it does look quite similar to what I have, even with the casing at the back. I actually got this for around $60....so if it's really $900 then you really just made my day. haha.

Dennis

8. Dan S Nov 17, 2021

That's a good find. Apparently it's legit.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would pay $900. We have learned that if some dealers don't sell a watch and send it back to the consignor, they post SOLD on the website. Seems a bit dishonest. But who knows. Anyway, at $60, I think you did just fine if you like it and it's a runner.

9. Nepomuceño Nov 17, 2021

Maybe Hodinkee will buy it off you ;) also if you're interested this thread could be right up your alley. Lots of bargains and fun watches like yours to be had for cheap.

10. DLim Nov 17, 2021

I hear you! I hoard my watches so will just keep this as my daily beater! haha.

11. DLim Nov 17, 2021

Haha, thank you! will check it out.

Nepomuceño likes this.
  12. DLim Jan 5, 2022

Hey guys, so I thought I give everyone an update about what happened with the Vulcain. It needed quite a bit of clean up and service, but overall it turned out pretty decent! I kept most of the scratches and dent as what's the point of calling it vintage if it doesn't show those glory.

Take care and happy new year everyone!

upload_2022-1-5_15-3-17.png
    upload_2022-1-5_15-3-23.png

timoss, TexOmega, Deafboy and 2 others like this.