Forums Latest Members
  1. Dr.K May 28, 2020

Hi everyone,

I have a 1970’s USSR Vostok (Boctok) (amphibian?) Id’d like to have repaired.
    Mostly want movement cleaned, tuned as needed, and gaskets replaced so I can take in water safely. No worries about crystal replacement or polish, etc.
    have a few pics incase helpful.

These aren’t typically very expensive watches... any recommendations where to have it serviced?

Thanks in advance!

image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Apr 9, 2021
    Bencherman and gillsharkspeare like this.
  2. Walrus May 28, 2020

Did you talk to any local watch maker? I think they can handle that. Shouldn’t be a problem getting parts the only thing will be cost. I have several Vostoks I payed less than it would cost to service them. I like your model by the way.

3. Canuck May 28, 2020

Perhaps it would help us refer you to someone if we had an idea of where you live.

4. Uniqez May 29, 2020

I was always wondering, what would people do with such a watches. For the price of service you probably could source few NOS watches. Unless this one has a sentimental value - priceless.

5. Dr.K May 30, 2020

I haven’t.

Covid has consumed a great deal of my time and things are just starting to open back up. Will have to do.
    Thanks!

Walrus likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2020

I just finished a full service on one.

It came from here.

MicksBucket.JPG

The problem was evident on opening but rather than just fixing that, I did the whole thing.

IMG_E4622.JPG

It turned out just fine.

MickRusskieFinished.JPG

It cost the owner a slab.

Professor likes this.
  7. Dr.K May 30, 2020

Thanks for the info and pics!

8. SkunkPrince May 30, 2020

A what?

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 30, 2020

Slab. Aussie term for alternate currency.

A carton of nine litres of beer in stubbies (i.e. 24 bottles) or cans became known as a "slab" because compared to the more cube-like shape of the traditional cartons, they were flatter, and hence, like slabs.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  10. SkunkPrince May 30, 2020

Ah! Around here that might describe "a full rack of BBQ pork ribs".

11. Dr.K Feb 1, 2021

Any more thoughts?

12. SkunkPrince Feb 1, 2021

Still need to know where you are.

13. Professor Feb 2, 2021

14. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Feb 2, 2021

Been considering this issue for cheap eBay buys recently, £30 for a cheap watch and £150 for a service does not compute.
    Anyone have any suggestions for this type of thing in the UK they would share?
    Pretty please.

15. Professor Feb 2, 2021

For a low cost purchase from Ebay I look at it like this. I'm interested in variations in movements etc. As long as a cheaply obtained watch works when I get it and lasts a few months keeping reasonable time I'm not disappointed too much if it ends up among my non working stable.
    I've lucked out most of the time with watches soldiering on without intervention. Several I've bought for less than $20 USD and no known service history turned out to be great watches, keeping time within a few seconds per day or even a few seconds per week with only fine tuning of the regulators. I've worn some of these off and on for years without a bobble.
    For those that give up the ghost I'll sooner or later take a shot at servicing them myself. Only way to learn is to have expendable test subjects.

As for the Vostocks, the cost of a new one is so low that spending big bucks on full service doesn't make sense. Just buy a new one and give the old one to a friend to play with, maybe they can fix it and keep it or pass it on for parts.
    Some recent Vostock offerings are very nice looking watches, but nothing to get worked up over. Good solid expendable tool watches.

Bencherman and p4ul like this.
  16. SkunkPrince Feb 2, 2021

I had a watchmaker friend adjust a Vostok Amphibian for me. When he was done, it kept time to COSC specs.

I know, you think "cheap watch, why throw more money at it?" but that's just life. Sure, they sell for cheap but they are actually pretty good quality. 31 jewels!

Ponder this.

A lot of people are buying Starbucks coffee. The coffee itself in the store could be paid for with a couple day's orders. Who in their right minds pays five bucks every day for someone else's coffee when they could make it themselves for five bucks a week or less.

A decent service lasts three years or more. Brew your own coffee and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Edited Feb 2, 2021
    Todeusz and wagudc like this.
  17. ghce Feb 2, 2021

Its very unfortunate but also very lucky for prospective purchasors, new Vostoks are unbeleivable value! The quality of the movements is supurb and the prices ridiculously cheap.

Last year I bought a second hand amphibion for about 25 to 30 dollars needing lots of attention, being a bit of a green horn when it comes to newer current Vostok watches at that time, by the time I priced out a service and repair I could have bought 2 new ones or 3 complete brand new movements plus crystal and straps to make my severely stressed watch back to good working ( and looking ) order. Once I had researched it I bought the exact same model brand new for about $55.00 and it keeps time well with in COSC specs, less than a minute out after 3 months!! Just incredible value for a well built 31 jewel watch with a history of good design and materials.....after all a 10 year guarantee! who does that in the modern retail world.

Professor likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 2, 2021

As well as Australian currency it’s also an Australian measurement for weight and size.
    A8D7F8DD-114E-4910-AF13-D9090E2DB220.jpeg

19. Professor Feb 3, 2021

Looking at your watch I have to say the styling is superior to most of the present Vostock offerings.
    If it were mine I might well spend more than its monetary value to restore it. Not a wise decision money wise but you'd have an uncommon and very nice watch when you finished.
    Perhaps DIY is the better option. If successful you'd have both a fine watch and bragging rights.

Dr.K likes this.
  20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 3, 2021

FYI ... black dial Vostok wristwatches have been space-flown by Russian cosmonauts (e.g. Georgi Grechko during Soyuz-17 in Januari 1975)