Forums Latest Members

Visiting New York in April, do's and don'ts

1. Daniel B Jan 22, 2014

I will be visiting New York with my girlfriend in late April for 5 days before going down to Florida :)

Any ideas you all have on what to check out in New York is greatly appreciated :)

it it will be my first time in New York but not in the US. We will be looking to get a watch for my girlfriend, budget is around $800, probably not vintage. we will be staying on Manhattan :)

2. Jon R Jan 22, 2014

Hi Daniel - My suggestion - Take the subway over to Brooklyn and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan Island. Fabulous views day and night!

Jon

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 22, 2014

Food tour of The Village.

Daniel B likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Don't advertise the fact that you know Dennis, it can either get you hugged or shot, its a bit hit and miss like that. Mainly depends whether its a flyers or penguins fan.

Daniel B likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

You have to eat at Carnegie's Deli. Drop by Faber's Gallery to gawk at vintage and pre-owned modern watches (say hi to Ed for me). The Breguet Boutique is right next door to the Omega boutique too.

Daniel B likes this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

NY is no place to buy a new watch Dan. Browse, yes for sure, but buy? Between the bankers and the Chinese tourists (I still have some residual soreness from the time I tried to look at a Lange One at Wempe just as a busload walked in), the retailers have little incentive to bargain.

Come to think of it, the vintage watch market is not as lush as you would think either.

I'd say just enjoy the city for the tons of other stuff it has to offer.

Daniel B likes this.
  7. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jan 22, 2014

Splurge and dine at The River Cafe...good food, great service and the views of Manhattan are breathtaking! (It's almost underneath the Brooklyn Bridge.)

Daniel B likes this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 22, 2014

If it is not too cold, I strongly suggested exploring the High Line. It is an old, elevated railroad track that was brilliantly re-purposed into a park. Walk the length of it and you will enjoy a uniquely interesting view of the city. Around the south end of it is the Chelsea Market, which is also well worth a visit.

Here is a map, and further information:

http://www.thehighline.org/about/maps

Cheers,

Tony C.

9. epl108 Jan 22, 2014

Eat Eat Eat.

There's delicous food everywhere you look. Street vendors, pizza shops, and more michelin stars than anywhere else in the States so you can eat quite well at just about any price point.

For pizza, try and get down to Lombardi's in little italy - may have to wait a bit for a table but it's worth it. Oldest pizza place in the country and some of the best you will find. http://www.firstpizza.com/

Enjoy!

Daniel B likes this.
  10. Daniel B Jan 22, 2014

First, thanks for all the tips and ideas , really great!

so far on the list, random order:

The highline
    Brooklyn bridge
    cony Island - unsure about this one
    Times Square
    Central Park
    empire state building
    and lots of restaurants, will try some of the suggested ones in this thread.

Have I missed anything ?

11. epl108 Jan 22, 2014

Check out the financial district and the twin towers memorial.

Daniel B likes this.
  12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Daniel B likes this.
  13. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 22, 2014

If you're handed a menu without prices, ASK. Don't assume anything. You might order a $20 entre and be charged $40 for rolls or a salad that you assumed were included. (I know there are crooks in every big city.)

Find out where the Time Square webcams are so you can arrange to say hi to your friends at home. There's extra points from 4chan if you knock down a magazine rack on-camera.

Daniel B likes this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Not worth the trouble of getting there, IMO. If you had two weeks, maybe, but for five days you can find better ways to use your time.

I'd love to hear the story behind this one - $40 for rolls? - what tourist punji pit did you fall into? I've never even heard of such a thing.

One of the characteristic things about NYC is people and places are quite forthright about taking your money. It just started raining and you want this umbrella that I was selling for $5 five minutes ago? For you, $40. Oh, you look really thirsty - price of bottled water just doubled - gimmee six dollas. Your New York menu is going to have prices. It may require scientific notation to get the figure to fit on the page, but you'll know what your paying.

15. heman By the Power of Greyskull! Jan 22, 2014

I like the Highline. It's in the Chelsea area, and if you like seafood, the Chelsea market is right underneath!

Daniel B likes this.
  16. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jan 22, 2014

$40 rolls was an off-the-cuff example. It might have been $20 nachos. And (get ready) I read that particular story repeated many time on Yelp.

And... (get ready) I've never been to NYC. :oops: HOWEVER, my daughter goes there frequently, my son-in-law worked on Times Square for 10 years. My sister goes there regularly. My story was anecdotal based on second hand "you think that's bad listen to this... " tales.

However... I have eaten at a number of restaurants (not in NYC) that don't have prices on the menus. I miss my expense account.

Sorry, I overloaded that post with hyperbole.

I'll go change my name now.

Daniel B likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

:D

Daniel B likes this.
  18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

this does put me in mind of another piece of advice. Don't eat in Times Square (yes Dennis, I know, Carnegie Deli...). It's the epicenter of the tourist beat, and consequently contains a very high concentration of overpriced and undertalented restaurants. You may end up staying there, because that's where the highest concentration of hotel rooms is, but make it your mission to get out early and return late (it looks better after dark anyway). Apart from catching a Broadway show, little good can come out of business transacted or meals eaten in or around Times Square.

I second the motion to browse vintage watches at Faber.

Daniel B likes this.
  19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 22, 2014

Id second these suggestions

20. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 23, 2014

What, a bunch of guys who trifle over little mechanical artifacts all day don't even mention a museum? Philistines.
    At least wander through the Metropolitan Museum of Art a bit.

Daniel B likes this.