Forums Latest Members

Visit to OMEGA Museum: Part D Space and Flight

1. Mtnmansa Apr 24, 2018

Hi Privateday7,
    Just came across your cool post and pics.
    In case 59, the Mk II with tools attached. I donated it to the Museum in 2000.

It is the only remaining prototype that was called ‘Telestop’ it has case #147.0037 (unlike 145.037 for regular telestop production models).
    I found the watch on the original band (1171 I think) in South Africa. Through my good friend and South Africa Omega Service Center, contacted Omega. We exchanged particulars and managed to convince them to send us the blueprints of the prototype.
    My dad was a metal toolmaker and engineer and we reverse engineered what you see, the yolk(start/stop metal barrel) and metal braided cables to exact specifications as the archives.The ONLY differences were the color of the nut on top of the yolk (silver not black) and the grey color of the braided cables. Apart from servicing the watch we did replace the crystal.
    After completing the cool project, we were obliged to return the archives to Omega.
    I found a color copy of one of the archive pages the other day.
    Being 25 yrs old and a young watch collector, I figured I had no use for it and it should be in the museum as 1 of 1, so through my friend the Omega agent travelled to Switzerland and donated the wiatch.
    Not many people know about 145.0037-even on Omega’s own archive website the model # only has specs but no picture.
    I know it’s out of the blue and like 5 years later, but I just figured I’d let you know.
    Regards
    Andy

Tonyash, palatine and Longbow like this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 25, 2018

Hi Andy,
    What a great story......
    I am really glad that you share it with the rest of us.
    Any story behind a watch is highly appreciated.......and yours is magnificent.
    This kind of story that makes this community wonderful.

Best,
    H

3. Mtnmansa Apr 25, 2018

Hi, thanks and yes, Watches on their own are cool and pretty but it’s usually the people and the story and provenance behind the watch that endures.
    It is a wonderful community with great diversity.

4. roadsternet Apr 26, 2018

Thank you for this superb work :thumbsup:
    Have you seen the hands on the Speedmaster Pro LE Apollo Soyuz SS are wrong :(

5. Seaman Jun 1, 2018

On this thread I felt that I need to give two likes on every post but was impossible..:)

6. whitewolf777 Jun 23, 2018

Wonderful.
    Thank you for sharing.

7. mr_yossarian Jul 4, 2018