Forums Latest Members

Virgin Galactic Unity 22 Launch

1. Starman71 Jul 11, 2021

While watching the launch of Virgin Galactic Unity 22, I noticed that astronaut Chris Hadfield’s X-33 bracelet is hanging very loose from his wrist. Has he always worn it like that?

2. jaguar11 Jul 11, 2021

Another great way to pollute the atmosphere for no scientific gain.....

Pun, JimInOz and Watch my Whisky like this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 11, 2021

giphy.gif

kev1976t, Waltesefalcon and timecube like this.
  4. timecube Jul 11, 2021

https://sservi.nasa.gov/articles/nasa-virgin-galactic-announce-payloads-for-spaceshiptwo-flight/

Admittedly, this first commercial flight was passengers-only, but it paves the way for future research flights without passengers.
    I guess "no scientific gain" this time.... ::facepalm1::

blufinz52 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  5. timecube Jul 11, 2021

In microgravity he wears it loose.
    I haven't seen many photos on the ground, but in the ones I've seen it looks pretty loose too.

hadfield1.jpg hadfield2.jpg hadfield3.jpg hadfield6.jpg hadfield5.jpg
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 12, 2021

That crazy sum of a bitch really did it

7. bdp Jul 12, 2021

Yes he did, now its the turn of mere mortals!
    But what watch, if any did RB wear?
    Do we have another space watch?

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. Pvt-Public Jul 12, 2021

The really simple answer is he likes it that way.

blufinz52 likes this.
  9. jaguar11 Jul 12, 2021

okay.... Noted! To edit... "Another way to pollute the environment". Just sayin and something I do feel strongly about. Happy for us all to have different opinions though and what a boring world it would be otherwise:). Take care all!

blufinz52 likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 12, 2021

This “billionaires In low orbit competition” has already put US astronauts on the space station. It’s a bit obnoxious now, but I’m sure it’s going to yield benefit in the long run.

Waltesefalcon and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Omegafanman Jul 12, 2021

The flight suits have thumb loops so limited chance of a reveal during a mission. And it also looks like Sir Richard has a fair few options (Bulova, Torgoen, Breitling)... I might need to study more of the necker island pictures...….

Thumbs .jpg Watch 1.jpg Watch 2.jpg Watch 2a.jpg Watch 3.jpg Watch 4.jpg Watch 7.jpg Watch 8.jpg Watch 9.jpg Watch5.jpg Watch 10.jpg
    SpeedyPhill and bdp like this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 12, 2021

Crew wore parachutes, which they could only use below 4200 meters as no pressure suits nor Oxygen devices were worn.
    They would have to egress out through the small oval-shaped hatch... or would the craft break up in an emergency to allow easy exit ? :thumbsdown:

13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 12, 2021

Omegafanman likes this.
  14. timecube Jul 12, 2021

The last time a SS2 broke up in flight, I don't think it was intentional. The parachutes did help though.
    I can't see what use they'd be in a normal suborbital flight.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 12, 2021

Whilst I fully realize why they have done it this way (altitude/reentry speed/etc)…I still can’t help to think the only downside is that 3 minutes of zero-g is waaaaaaaaay too short…

Omegafanman likes this.
  16. Omegafanman Jul 12, 2021

I guess the logic is this is more an airliner than a rocket situation, so a flyable cabin is the key survival factor. Once that is lost unless very highly trained (and even then lucky) the odds would not be great. Loss of pressure would be another consideration although it is a short duration flight and gravity will always win quickly.
    I found the following / would be interesting to know all the safety features and training + how the chutes are supposed to be used. I would risk it if anyone has a spare $250k,,,,
    Spaceship 1 did reach the Karman line (100km) weight / safety has maybe pulled that back to 85km with Spaceship 2?

•WhiteKnightTwo engine reliability. Highly reliable and rigorously tested jet engines made by Pratt and Whitney Canada power the first 45,000 feet of the journey to space.

•Two pilots per vehicle. Two pilots will fly in each WhiteKnightTwo and SpaceShipTwo. Having a second pilot in the vehicles spreads the workload and provides critical redundancies.

•Design of RocketMotorTwo. RocketMotorTwo is a simple and robust, human-rated spaceflight rocket motor with no turbo-pumps or complicated machinery. This rocket offers simple shut-off control at any point in the trajectory, unlike a traditional solid rocket motor.

•Feathering system. Our unique wing feathering technology provides self-correcting capability that requires limited pilot input for SpaceShipTwo to align properly for re-entry.

•Astronaut preparation. Each of our future astronauts will go through a customized medical screening and flight preparation process, including training for use of communication systems, flight protocols, emergency procedures and G-force training. In addition, initial customer questionnaires and health tracking have been completed and are maintained in a comprehensive and secure medical database.

•Full mission abort capability. Due to our air-launch configuration and flight profile, mission abort capability exists at all points along the flight path and consists of aborts that mimic the normal mission profile. For example, if pre-launch release criteria are not met, the SpaceShipTwo is designed to remain attached to the carrier aircraft and make a smooth, mated landing. In the event of an abort in a short-burn duration, the spaceship pilot may choose to fly a parabolic, gliding recovery. For longer duration burns, pilots will continue to climb to configure a feathered re-entry and establish a gliding recovery at nominal altitudes.

Edited Jul 13, 2021
  17. Omegafanman Jul 12, 2021

There might be some clues here as well. My maths might be out but is looks like a zero survival probability failure would be expected every 6666 missions or so (based on a 90 minute suborbital flight).

3FD48D13-0783-44D2-BB1A-40A2505E487B.jpeg 40D99D77-9CD2-4B1F-8BB7-8850A6CA595E.jpeg
  18. Omegafanman Jul 13, 2021

Blue Origin have waded in on this (Tweet) ... but they don’t mention the relative cost. Also would be interesting to look at the impact of fuel production / cost of manufacture. Of course Ozone is important stuff if launches become very regular.

F19D5643-8788-48AA-B0C3-8DE781E0733B.jpeg
  19. JohnnyRocket Jul 20, 2021

Hey There,
    I worked in Planetariums for over a decade. In 1967 a large one opened
    In my hometown in Alberta Canada. I was there when it opened.
    I was 10 years old. I vowed then that I would eventually work there.
    Astronauts were American or Soviet. It took till 1984 till Canada had
    One.
    Planetarium Shows were as far as I got.
    Now, I’ve watched both Branson and Bezos, and Elon do what was unthinkable.
    Only a dream.
    Space X has been unbelievably successful in Orbital Flight.
    Space Ship one paved the way for Virgin Galactic. Blue Origin now has
    Crew Proven their Spacecraft.
    Maybe, just Maybe there’s hope for me Yet.
    Congratulations Wally!
    82 Years a True Space Pioneer.
    I once took Wally Shirra, the Mercury Astronaut around during his Visit.
    That was in the 1980’s.
    How Cool That Today... Another Wally has Closed the Circle.

I’ve got my watches Ready. My Speedy, and My X-33 Gen 2...
    And My SkyWalker.
    Hmmm...
    Hey Richard - Jeff And Elon....How about a Lift?

Omegafanman likes this.