Forums Latest Members
  1. Lucap Aug 27, 2018

Hello,

this is my first post, and I would like to state at the very beginning that I am a novice to the world of vintage watches.
    I have come across this German Website, and I was wondering if anybody has any experience of them.
    Prices seem on the steep side (for certain models at least), but the quality (for what one can tell from pictures alone) and service seem good.
    I have not found much in terms of reviews or comments online- a bit on eBay (where they are no longer present as sellers), and a bit through Google.
    I would welcome anybody's feedback, and thank you in advance for taking the time.

Luca

2. Marty McDawg Aug 27, 2018

Welcome Luca!

I don’t know much about that site and I’m sure someone will come along with some insights into it.

I’d check out the sales forums here. There are solid watches and upstanding sellers. Lots of vetting.

Which watches are you into? Knowing the sort will help up direct you to the proper sites and information. I.e. speedmaster101.com would be a go to for Omega Speedmaster. Moonwatchonly.com Fratellowatches.com Are also good sites for Speedies.

Give us a few more specifics and we will see how to better help:)

DaveK likes this.
  3. Lucap Aug 27, 2018

Thank you Marty,
    I have purchased my first vintage watch a few weeks ago, an Omega constellation with a cal. 551, which is currently with my watchmaker for service (yes, I found what seems like a good watchmaker, hopefully for years of vintage collecting to come...time will tell!).
    At the moment I am not looking to add to the collection (of one piece...) , but I am just trying to learn more about the vintage market online (beyond eBay, where I bought that watch).
    I will definitely start looking here too!
    thanks again.

4. Lucap Aug 27, 2018

In terms of preferences, for now mainly three handers no date, I guess the next addition would be a manual movement.
    I know it is a bit cheeky (this is an Omega forum after all), but I also like IWC (dress watches with cal.89 and gold case).

5. Slevin kelevra Aug 27, 2018

I have actually purchased two watches from Simon but had to send them back for a refund on both occasions. Id rather not get into the reasons for return but can say Simon was very helpful on both occasions, the return and refunds were handled well. I would definitely consider buying from him in the future.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 27, 2018

VintageCaliber first went into business as WatchSmuggler - comically poor decision. If you are a customs officer and a package lands on your desk with the return address "Watch Smuggler," what choice do you have?

Generally OK site in my opinion - no worse or better than the others, and Simon is above-average responsive. I will advise you to read very carefully though. If Simon says a dial is original, it is, but he often won't write that it is refinished - he'll just not state that it is original. As usual, do your own homework before buying.

7. mr_yossarian Aug 27, 2018

I' ve just seen too many undisclosed things on their offered watches, but statements of originality (where clearly something was a later replacement i.e.), I just wouldn't buy from soemone who forces me to proof things right or wrong instead of telling me exactly what it is. In most cases I can find that out myself, but trust..what if I didn't see it all?

S.H. and sdre like this.
  8. Lucap Aug 27, 2018

Thank you all,

In fairness it seems unlikely that some of the dials I have seen on their website are not retouched in some ways.
    It is stated though, but I think the extent of the "restoration" can only be appreciated on the metal (more than in pictures).
    It is good to hear that Simon is quite responsive, and deals well with returns/refunds.

9. WatchCor Dec 14, 2019

Anyone know what happened to this dealer/seller? They usually had a very nicely curated collection with reasonable pricings.

Website is now closed/suspended. Simon Stern (the founder/owner) LinkedIn removed/unavailable etc. I was quite close to purchasing a piece from them a while back and now they have vanished. Couldn't find any statements or anything.

A normal closure of business? Bankruptcy? :thumbsdown:

Screenshot_20191214-094157.jpg

10. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

According to northdata, still existing:

https://www.northdata.de/VintageCaliber+GmbH,+München/HRB+220706

11. WatchCor Dec 14, 2019

12. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

Northdata is my normal source to find informations about business in Germany and usually they are up to date.

13. Rman Dec 14, 2019

Also noticed the site was down, Simon is a member here but hasn’t been seen for months. @vintagecaliber

14. Vitezi Dec 14, 2019

15. Dan S Dec 14, 2019

I can't say that I like the way he preps his watches, but I guess some people like their vintage watches shiny.

16. WatchCor Dec 14, 2019

True, but what I did gather and see is that he usually declared clearly any restorations or a refinishing.

Not that I am in in invested or know him personally just curious where did he and the site disappear. Just hoping it's not anything health or shady related and it's just a normal business thing /retirement.