Forums Latest Members

Vintage Zenith verification allegedly from 1919, can anyone help?

1. TheBosston Jul 24, 2019

Hi, this is my first thread on this site, if I do anything wrong just tell me;)

I have spotted a vintage Zenith watch which is from 1919 due to the sellers description. I have some concerns about the case of the watch since it is not "Zenith" stemped.

What do you think about the originality of the watch? I have never seen such a case from Zenith before (but I'm new to Zenith watches).

Would appreciate any kind of help,
    TheBosston

1.jpg 1.jpg 9.jpg 1.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 4.jpg
    CaptainWinsor likes this.
  2. CaptainWinsor Jul 24, 2019

There’s a very similar example in Rössler’s book on p164 with probably the same movement, cal12. I did notice and I’m not familiar with parts, but part of the regulator arm? Looks to be missing. See red arrow in my photo. It does have Swill hallmarks on caseback and by serial number. The one in the book says 1928.
    B389C915-E099-44CE-A948-0D25A21FCDA2.jpeg
    105CE029-2AEF-4DF2-8433-4894197CCCA4.jpeg
    35903063-9C45-4DC0-A0CC-B270FEAE576E.jpeg

rfordo and TheBosston like this.
  3. TheBosston Jul 24, 2019

Thanks a lot CaptainWinsor,

The seller mentioned that the watch must be wound several times a day to keep approximate time, that could probably be explained with the missing piece of the regulator arm (which I did not see before ;) ).

Both, your example and mine have swiss hallmarks; I know now that this kind of cases were used by Zenith, the only thing that bothers me is that Zenith is not stemped on the case back.

Despite the fact of the missing "Zenith stemp", do you think that the watch could be more or less legit (crown seems to be a replacement crown compared to your picture) ?

Thank you!
    TheBosston

4. rfordo Jul 24, 2019

CaptainWinsor's comments and reference to Rössler's should be your true guide here. Just to add, while a case number stamping could be done at a later date, nothing on the rest of the watch is yelling at me that is was heavily 'worked on.'

For me, I would not worry too much about the lack of zenith branded stamp.

Could look at it this way as well, the watch in question is significantly earlier both in movement number and (taking it as Zenith) in case number when compared to the book example; maybe the brand only started stamping casebacks in some year between production of the two.

TheBosston and CaptainWinsor like this.
  5. TheBosston Jul 24, 2019

Thank you both, rfordo and CaptainWinsor!
    You are absolutely right, I've finally pulled the trigger and bought the watch for around 280 bucks.
    Cheers, TheBosston

rfordo likes this.
  6. redpcar Jul 24, 2019

It's close to that in gold melt. :)

TheBosston likes this.
  7. CaptainWinsor Jul 24, 2019

You’ll have to measure the movement to find the exact caliber. If you look at the movements in Rössler, the 11,12 and 13 NVSI all look the same just different sizes. I agree it’s not a big deal with no Zenith stamp

0CC504BC-7CCF-4869-9B23-A90205158799.jpeg

TheBosston and rfordo like this.
  8. TheBosston Jul 24, 2019

Thank you for your Time, I really appreciate!
    Thats a great movement chart, since I do not have the Rössler book, this comes in very handy. I will definitely measure the movement and then identify it with that chart.

I'll keep you uptdated and post pictures as soon as it arrives.