Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Zenith El Primero ref 01.0210.415 from 1973

1. Dan S Nov 10, 2018

I have been doing a lot of buying recently so I am going to sell a few pieces for balance. First up is a 1970s Zenith El Primero, which probably needs little introduction. Zenith developed the El Primero cal 3019 in the late 1960s as one of the first auto-winding chronograph movements. It is a high-beat (36,000 bph) 31-jewel movement with 30-minute and 12-hour totalizer sub-registers and a quick-set date at 4:30. I think it's fair to say that this is a legendary chronograph movement that is mentioned in every list of desirable and collectible vintage chronographs. Moreover, unlike many of the auto-winding chronograph movements from that era, this movement has stood the test of time, and has been in continual use for nearly 50 years with only modest changes and updates.
    zenith-0.jpg
    There is a great forum post where you can read about the original Zenith El Primero models here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f27/o...tainless-steel-models-1969-1975-a-586997.html

Here is a catalog page from the era for this particular reference:
    zenith-18.jpg

As you can see from the photos below, the cosmetic condition of the watch is very good overall. The silver dial, hands, and date-wheel are excellent. The case is a classic 1970s thick and chunky "C" shape style, and it is in solid condition. It shows some wear, but much of the original finish still remains and the edges are sharp. The main flaw is a dent on the back of a lug which is clearly shown in several photos.

I have it on a vintage 1970s JB Champion bracelet that I acquired separately and shows noticeable wear. The bracelet could be cleaned up quite easily, but I haven't bothered since I find it interesting and fun to wear as it is. If the buyer prefers, I can replace the JB Champion bracelet with a mesh bracelet or a leather strap. No problem at all.

The watch was serviced in 2013 as indicated in the case-back, and has been used only sparingly. I'd estimate that I wear it 5-10 times per year as part of a rotation. I checked the functioning of the watch, and all timekeeping and chronograph functions work properly. The watch is keeping very good time, but obviously I'm not offering a guarantee on the timekeeping performance. For the buyer's peace of mind, I'll offer a 2-day inspection period for established OF members with buying/selling feedback, but clearly I'd prefer to avoid returns simply due to buyer's remorse after an impulsive purchase, so please ask your questions in advance. There is no additional long-term warranty.

My price is $2,600 by PayPal. That includes insured shipping within the US, which would be my preference for convenience reasons. Other payment or shipping options can be discussed on a case-by-case basis. I will certainly consider trades up or down for vintage watches.

Here are the specs:
    Make/model: Zenith El Primero 01.0210.415
    Year: circa 1973
    Case material: Stainless steel
    Crystal: Flat mineral glass
    Diameter: ~37mm (wears larger due to case shape)
    Movement: Auto-winding Zenith cal 3019PHC chronograph with quick-set date
    Strap: vintage JB Champion bracelet (can be replaced with mesh or leather at the buyer's request)
    Lug spacing: 19mm

I will post links to my OF selling and buying feedback below, and I'm happy to share personal information by direct message. I can also provide a few additional references for OF members who have not posted feedback threads. If anyone thinks I have made an error or omission in this listing, please send me a direct message, and I will happily make any necessary correction.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/dan-s-is-a-great-seller.78044/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/dan-s-is-a-great-seller.79576/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/dan-s-rock-solid-buyer.80126/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/dan-s-is-a-pleasure-to-do-business-with.80035/

zenith-2.jpg zenith-3.jpg zenith-4.jpg zenith-5.jpg zenith-6.jpg zenith-7.jpg zenith-9.jpg zenith-10.jpg zenith-11.jpg zenith-12.jpg zenith-13.jpg zenith-14.jpg zenith-15.jpg zenith-16.jpg zenith-19.jpg

Edited Nov 14, 2018
  2. Dan S Nov 11, 2018

I'm going to bump this since I'm aware that the moderator approval process often results in the first appearance being mid-way down the page. Never fear, I won't be bumping every day. :)

By the way, I timed the watch over 24h, and it was well within +10s. That's all I want to say, since I only timed it in one position and I don't want to create unrealistic expectations.

3. Dan S Nov 14, 2018

Some nibbles, but still available.

zenith-20.jpg

qboa likes this.
  4. Hijak Nov 14, 2018

Wow, can’t believe this is still here!:eek: Great watch at a very good price, huh, very confusing.:confused:

...if I didn’t already have mine I’d be all over this!!!:thumbsup:

wristpirate and Dan S like this.
  5. chronoboy64 Nov 14, 2018

congrats to the buyer and seller, very well done :thumbsup:

Dan S likes this.