Forums Latest Members
  1. richardpeter Apr 5, 2016

Hi Guys,
    New to the forum here.. hello from London. I've been looking how you do things and now signed up after putting a lot of hard earned cash into my second watch, a 2998-1.

For a few reasons I've decided to change the strap from the current black aligator skin with buckle to a deployment strap. I've got a buckle (and here in England Omega sells them new for £200 , ha!) but all the straps I can seem to find pre made are more modern and do not work with a deployment buckle..
    I wanted to achieve the classic, retro look with a tan/orange leather as below.
    I've been in contact with Dangerousstraps but they are obviously high end and a 13 week wait.
    Any ideas?

Cheers
    Richard

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 21.22.27.png Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 07.40.45.png
  2. incabloc Apr 5, 2016

welcome to the forum....

I really hope you have not put in to much cash for a 2998-1 with a 105.003 dial, replaced bezel and maybe hands also.

3. rollingrevolver Apr 5, 2016

Hi Richard,

There are many strap options out there today depending on your budget and preferences. Personally I like the straps from Bulang and Sons. You could also take a look at the straps on offer at Hodinkee (many of them are made by the same Italian strapmaker who supplies Bulang and Sons). Stewart from Heuerville is based in the UK, and his straps are very nice as well but there's also a rather long wait for them. Happy strap hunting!

Best,
    Sean

Tritium likes this.
  4. sky21 Apr 5, 2016

Hi Richard, is it not supposed to be a deployant clasp? I think a deployment is what a military member goes on from time to time. Love the watch by the way, even with a few incorrect parts, as I know they're nearly impossible to find completely original.

5. Davidt Apr 5, 2016

Very hard to get aftermarket straps to fit the omega deployant as they require a specific shape, width and thickness.

Cousins in the uk do make some but I believe they're just black or brown gator.

For vintage style straps I always use a buckle.

6. abrod520 Apr 5, 2016

To get a strap to fit an Omega deployant you'll likely have to go with a custom-made strap, which will cost a bit extra. You could try Heuerville, or go to the source that Omega does, and contact Atelier Jean Rousseau. Their prices aren't quite as high as Omega's as there's no branding on them (and thus no markup), but they're still expensive. You do get what you pay for, though.

Tritium likes this.
  7. lillatroll Apr 5, 2016

In English English it is often referred to as a deployment strap. Both terms are varients of the correct term which is "deployante"
    (I do not want turn this thread into a deployant vs deployment -what is the correct term, I just want to point out that deployment is used as widely as deployant and is as equally correct or incorrect depending on your point of view and/or where in the world you come from)

sky21 likes this.
  8. sky21 Apr 5, 2016

Ok, thanks for pointing that out, I honestly did not know that. Appreciate the knowledge.

lillatroll likes this.
  9. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Apr 5, 2016

“It's not what you don't know that kills you, it's what you know for sure that ain't true.” Mark Twain

Stewart H likes this.