Forums Latest Members

VINTAGE WATCHES on Ebay and other platforms / Evaluation-Help-Advice

1. Skipper_S May 2, 2019

Hello!

Iam creating this thread so all of us can share and have a look at VINTAGE watches sold on ebay and other popular platforms and maybe get some help/advice/evaluation on the condition of the watch ( e.g originality, redial, polished etc) from the many experts who visit the OF site.

I can't find a similar thread opened in OF except the one at "Universal Geneve" subcategory and of course the "Vintage Omega Watches Help, Discussion and Advice" subcategory.

Hope you find my idea useful :)

If the administrators think this thread is unnecessary please remove it!

2. Vitezi May 2, 2019

This forum https://omegaforums.net/auctions/ was intended to provide what you're looking for, but I'm unsure how the watches shown are picked or how often they are updated.

This sticky focuses on Omega and eBay: https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-watches-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/
    This sticky focuses on Longines and eBay: https://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-longines-watches-on-ebay.3388/
    This sticky focuses on UG and eBay: https://omegaforums.net/threads/universal-geneve-watches-on-ebay.3584/

ext1 and connieseamaster like this.
  3. JwRosenthal May 2, 2019

I like this idea as a teaching tool. The vintage Omega sticky is just to post auctions that are posted by those saying it’s legit. There is also the worst redial sticky but that’s more of a humor page and links to auctions aren’t usually posted- just pics.
    I like this idea of a critique sub-forum where there can be some discussion about specific auctions that for some reason did very well (redial and horrible condition- why were there 47 bidders and it went for 5x what one would think), or poorly (looks flawless, clearly original and sold for $8).
    Do you have one in mind you want to use to get the ball rolling?

Skipper_S and wagudc like this.
  4. JwRosenthal May 2, 2019

staristheanswer likes this.
  5. Skipper_S May 3, 2019

I dont have one in mind currently but i thought its a good idea starting a thread for all brands except Omega :)

wagudc likes this.
  6. Lucasssssss May 3, 2019

Don draper syndrome. A black dial SMDV with crosshairs was used in Mad Men, and worn by Don Draper. That watch sold for 11k by Christies. Unfortunatley I don't believe that Omega ever made a black dialed crosshair SMDV, so the people who want them have to buy redialed versions. Hence the high price.

Christies link: https://www.christies.com/lotfinder...tainless-steel-automatic-5967746-details.aspx
    Hodkinee article on the watch: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/mad-men-watches-for-sale-at-christies

7. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jul 28, 2019

Here's a non-Omega on ebay that caught my eye. A 1928 Audemars Piguet with a platinum case, no less. Bids were only at $267 as of yesterday, getting a little closer to what I would think was reality at $670 today, Assuming it is all original and genuine, and in "great" running condition as advertised, or even only decent running condition as is more likely, that is still quite a bargain in my opinion. If one of you win it and get it fixed up, please treat us with pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-R...H-100-GENUINE/153581882582?_trkparms=aid=1110Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2019

Seems odd to me that seller is showing only the dial side of the movement (which seems to be properly signed). The other side of the movement should look something like this:

[​IMG]

Also, I do not see any platinum hallmark on the case. I think that even in 1920's USA, some hallmarking was required.

If those two items check out, you can add a zero at the end of the current bid.
    gatorcpa

mozartman likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Jul 28, 2019

That is a striking watch! It’s encouraging to see stunning pieces like this being appreciated and not just “tool” watches.

mozartman likes this.
  10. TDBK Jul 28, 2019

This is from the auction; not even close.
    [​IMG]

11. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jul 28, 2019

Yes, though I have not a fraction of your watch expertise, there is obviously an authenticity issue with the case and dial, if not the movement, as the seller well knows. If the watch is a custom job, as the seller suggests, a one-off or otherwise, surely there were watchmakers with the capability of making the case other than those of the manufacturer. The art deco movement swept the US very quickly and completely in the 1920s and 30s, and a wealthy owner of an old-fashioned Audemars Piguet could easily afford to swap out an original case with something more current. Even the store that originally sold the watch could have offered that service without sending it back to the manufacturer in Switzerland, or sold it that way originally, with or without AP's permission. It shouldn't be hard to prove or disprove whether the case is solid,or even merely plated, platinum, though.

As @JwRosenthal says, this is indeed a stunning watch.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 28, 2019

What I showed was the balance side of a AP 9 ligne movement. The seller is only showing the dial side.
    You would think the seller would want to show the marks if it were solid platinum.
    gatorcpa

mozartman likes this.
  13. TDBK Jul 28, 2019

There is a movement photo (I posted photo 8 above). Also, the first dial-side photo is a mastery of the best angle, here it is from another angle, without crystal:
    [​IMG]

14. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jul 28, 2019

And even if there are no hallmarks, as is possible, especially with a one-off custom piece made domestically, it can easily be chemically tested for metal content. But I'm not arguing with you in any way. It's just another example that many extraordinary antiques have to be carefully checked for authenticity, as they may be a little too far out of the ordinary.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jul 28, 2019

My great aunt travelled to Paris before the war- she brought back a pair of beautiful cufflinks for my grandfather in a little blue case. They weren’t hallmarked or stamped in any way. He never wore them becuase they were too fancy for his taste and when he died I inherited them.
    I was talking to an antique jewelry appraiser and casually mentioned them and as I described them, his eyes lit up and he finished the description for me- art deco style engraved platinum, pyramid cut sapphires at the ends of the posts, bi-directional octagonal flip down faces - textured folding blue leather case with snap- they were Cartier. I reiterated that they didn’t have any markings on them whatsoever and he said that was common for many jewelers back then. The handwork and style was the signature.

CaptainWinsor and mozartman like this.
  16. Observer I know nothing! Jul 28, 2019

I assume that all ebay watches are overpolished redialed frankenwatches until each of those things are disproven. You have to be patient and picky.

17. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Jul 28, 2019

Great story, thanks. Although jewelers have been using hallmarks to denote metal content for a long time, it really wasn't completely universal and uniform before more modern times. Laws have changed (and become more strict) over the centuries. But my main comment should be, "Pics or it didn't happen!" ;-)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. ConElPueblo Jul 29, 2019

We demand pictures! :D

mozartman and Lucasssssss like this.
  19. JwRosenthal Jul 29, 2019

Lol!! Ok, I’ll try to take some tonight.

mozartman likes this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 29, 2019

I see the seller posted some more pictures. Maybe he is a member here?

The balance side of the movement looks good.

Interesting AP watch.
    gatorcpa

mozartman and JwRosenthal like this.