Forums Latest Members

Vintage Watches in New Orleans

1. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 15, 2014

Going to visit over the summer, was wondering if any members know of any local places to look out for vintage watches in New Orleans? :)

2. ulackfocus Jun 15, 2014

Watches? Dude, you're young and in New Orleans. Go to Bourbon Street, get a good buzz on, and pick up chicks.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 15, 2014

+1. Plenty of time for vintage watches when you return to NYC.
    gatorcpa

4. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jun 16, 2014

Check out M. S. Rau on Royal Street. Get in touch with Deborah Choate, they have some magnificent watches both online and in their vaults. Most have interesting provenances too.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

Kyle,

Please post a report when you get back. We all spend time (debauchery permitting, of course) when traveling trawling for watches - it would be great to have a little inventory of addresses for cities around the world.

6. bvertz Jun 16, 2014

M.S. Rau is amazing for all kinds of art antiques and collectibles. And, being close to Jackson Square, you can stop at Cafe Du Monde for beignets. Just don't get powdered sugar on the merchandise.

NT931 and Baco Noir like this.
  7. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Jun 16, 2014

Don't pick up chicks in the 700-800 block of Bourbon st.

Don't pay anybody to tell you where you got your shoes. OR anything else.

Don't miss the aquarium or zoo if you like that sort of thing.

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

Going with family...:p

9. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2014

Oh. :oops:

Nevermind!

One of these days the old guys are gonna…… well, you'll find out after you turn 21.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 17, 2014

That's great idea. When I visited Japan 2 months ago, Ueno district have several interesting pre owned and vintage watch store.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 26, 2014

Kyle - I will give you some information on vintage watches in New Orleans once I get things organized here in the shop. I just got back last night after spending a week there so I have some first hand experience with watches and other things.

Cheers, Al

KstateSkier and timeismoney like this.
  12. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 26, 2014

Take your 2940! It glows in the dark, so you can keep it at the bedside. ;)

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 27, 2014

Okay for watches there are a few places....I'm assuming you will be spending your time in the French Quarter - that is where we stayed and other than a couple of small trips we didn't leave that area too much.

For modern watches, there are a couple of places on Canal street, and the fairly new Riverwalk outlet down by the river complex has one store I think that also has new watches. I was more interested in the Lindt chocolate outlet there though....

For vintage, there are a few antique stores on Royal that have a few watches. M. S. Rau is on Royal and was mentioned above - now if you are there to just browse, then that's fine, but keep in mind this is one big tourist trap so finding a good deal is going to be difficult. M, S. Rau is quite high end, with lots of very expensive antiques (I was drawn to the Lalique glass, but managed to get out without buying any), and they had a very nice string of Ethiopian Opals, a steal at $228k. They had a few PP and VC on display, but they were horribly overpriced.

I ended up giving them some advice on dial refinishing - in other words I told them not to do it when they asked me about it...

All of the shops along Royal are antique shops, so watches are not their focus, and you will only see a few in each shop. Brands vary from cheaper stuff like Gruen, Hamilton, to the stuff at Rau on the higher end.

The only place I saw in 7 days of wandering the French Quarter that really was a watch shop was a place called Quarter Past Time, and they are located at 606 Chartres Street.

[​IMG]

I didn't really check prices, just took some crappy iPhone pics (I didn't feel like dragging my DSLR all over with me this trip, so everything I have was shot on the iPhone)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They had more watches in this shop than all of the others I visited had combined, so it would be worth a visit for sure.

I may write another post on our visit...I noted Kyle said you are going with family so if that includes smaller children, might be a good idea to prepare them...

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

kyle L likes this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 27, 2014

disimpan

15. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jun 27, 2014

Thanks Al, looks like they have some good stuff. I'll be sure to check them out!

16. Interstatetime Jun 29, 2014

Tourist towns are lousy places to buy watches.

JohnCote

17. timeismoney Apr 1, 2015

Hello All,

Aside from Quarter Past Time from Al, are there anymore suggestions? I will be in New Orleans this weekend and would like to do a little browsing! Thanks!

18. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

Quarter Past Time was the only interesting place that I found. NYC actually has a better selection!

19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 1, 2015

Quarter Past Time is the only place I would recommend for vintage...its a tourist town.
    There are lots of antiques stores it wouldn't hurt to peruse just in case they don't know any better and have a special piece...but unlikely.

20. timeismoney Apr 1, 2015

Ah, thank you both for the confirmation. Wasn't planning on buying but browsing only, wifey would be happy to hear that, haha...