Forums Latest Members

Vintage Watches in Movies: The Old Man & the Gun...

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 18, 2019

I was able to watch a lot of good movies on the jet during my recent trip to Asia, but the most memorable one was this one:

...with some excellent performances by Robert Redford, Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover, and Tom Waits, and a few nice-looking vintage watches worn by the characters they portray.

Based on the story about the 'Over-the-Hill Gang' of bank robbers in 1981, the fleeting shots of the watches appear to me to be from the 60's, maybe early 70's.

I wasn't able to get any captures as I watched this movie on the plane, but I did get a few from the YouTube trailer, including the stopwatch he used to time his bank heists:

Old Mad Movie watches.jpg Old Mad Movie watch.jpg

It appears to me that Redford was wearing (on his right wrist :)) a gold-cased, vintage Omega. Interestingly, the exact same details as with Ryan Gosling in 'La-la Land'.

Thoughts/opinions on the timepieces in this excellent film?

I also highly recommend seeing this film if you haven't already.

Big thumbs up to Redford on this one. :thumbsup:

Edited Jan 18, 2019
    citizenrich likes this.
  2. Waltesefalcon Jan 18, 2019

I'll have to see this one.

dougiedude likes this.
  3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 18, 2019

If anyone has the movie and can get a better capture, the best shot of Redford's watch was a scene right after their big heist when Redford and (I think) Glover were talking in the car... in that scene, we see both their watches, and they seemed to be central to the scene, since I think 'time' was central to that moment (if not in the entire film)...:)

Edited Jan 18, 2019
  4. Edward53 Jan 18, 2019

A Hamilton and a Gruen from "A Walk In The Sun", 1945. A surprisingly honest, downbeat war movie for one made while it was still going on.

Walk In The Sun Hamilton.jpg Walk In The Sun Gruen.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2019

I think that could be a Hampden, not a Hamilton.

Still a nice old watch.
    gatorcpa

6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 18, 2019

Man, that Gruen looked old when it was still new

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2019

Vitezi and Edward53 like this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 18, 2019

In regards to this film, 'The Old Man & the Gun', I find it interesting that the period of this movie, was in late 1981...

and yet, the watches and the entire vibe seem to be from about 10 years before... which, I suppose the production company felt would be more interesting; it's certainly true about the watches, IMO!

9. Pvt-Public Jan 19, 2019

I think it's more like older men just may not have the most recent watch issue. As I highly doubt that any one in production was concerned what watch would make a movie more interesting. Except maybe the stopwatch and again I doubt the brand mattered just the looks.

Waltesefalcon and dougiedude like this.
  10. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 19, 2019

Agreed :thumbsup:
    I wasn't implying that they made a decision about which era watches to include but instead, made the film seem a bit older than 1981 for a more nostalgic aura...

... but perhaps if I watched the movie again and paid more attention to period details, it might not seem as 'old' as I perceived it the first time...

Add: I'm curious as to what film buff @aap 's, opinion of this movie might be...

Edited Jan 19, 2019
  11. Professor Jan 19, 2019

In most older films I've seen, especially TV movies or series, they deliberately obscure the brand name of a clock face or watch dial. Some have small decorative markings in place of a brand name, others are airbrushed or just taped over. I think it was a product placement issue.