Forums Latest Members

Vintage Watches in Hong Kong

1. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 13, 2015

Heading over to Hong Kong in a few months and was wondering if anybody had some good places to look for vintage watches! I know there are a bunch so some pointers would be great. :)

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 13, 2015

I was there for 10 days about a year ago. Fascinating place, with the most watch shops per block of any city in the world. Unfortunately, the vast majority sell new watches, with Rolex and Tudor being by far the biggest representatives.

There are a small number of interesting, dedicated vintage shops. My favorite is a small shop called Berne Horology, It is shop #168 on the 1st floor of the Penninsula Centre, 67 Mody Road, Kowloon. I forget the metro stop, but the HK subway system is the most impressive in the world, in my view. The owner is an interesting man, and I bought a very nice, early Certina DS from him at a reasonable price. He has a good selection and variety.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 13, 2015

Thanks Tony, looks promising.

4. E-diddy Sep 13, 2015

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 13, 2015

There is a floor in basement of Holiday Inn Golden mile in Tsim sha Tsui nathan road that has half dozen vintage watches store. Once a month there would be a watches bazaar at the hall next floor. It would be great if your schedule match theirs

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 13, 2015

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 13, 2015

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 13, 2015

http://www.wristwatchdaily.com/?p=508

Last time I missed the date, too. Next I must align my schedule. This is the show where Jakarta watch shop owners come to replenish their supply.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 13, 2015

Hopefully there will still be some good stuff around in HK when I go!

10. timjohn Sep 14, 2015

I got ripped blind at Berne when I was just starting out, so be careful. Vintage Concept has some interesting watches -- take a look online and work out if you want to go to their shop on Lyndhurst Terrace in Central or down to MK. For more modern -- second hand rather than vintage -- try Champagne Court on Kimberley Road in Tsim Sha Tsui: even if you're not interested it is an experience seeing so much high-end horology jammed together in the window.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
  11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 14, 2015

Sorry to hear that, but I expect that it would be difficult to rip Kyle off in person.

12. timjohn Sep 14, 2015

Fair point, and in retrospect, I was dumber than two dumb things in a paper bag at the time.

Alex Pig in Fortress Hill has some nice rolexes at good prices, but mostly not quite old enough to be vintage

13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Sep 14, 2015

Nothing like the "real" thing on the streets of New York ;)

14. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Sep 14, 2015

So it depends how you like to hunt for treasures. When I'm traveling, I tend to avoid well known vintage dealers simply because I know that I may see some cool watches but they'll all be priced aggressively. I'd rather root through piles of antiques looking for one misplaced treasure (ie - the LeCoultre Deep Sea Alarm that was found at Goodwill for $5.99 earlier this year). If that's your type of hunting (big caveat there), Cat Street is a fantastic area to dig around. Didn't find any Deep Sea Alarms, but I did find a Tudor 76100 Lollipop for $1,500. I didn't buy it because I was a dumb dumb and didn't want to take a risk on it. It checked out though and I regretted it as soon as we stepped on the plane to leave.

The area around Cat Street is cool as well, and you can wander your way over to SoHo for some good food / interesting bars. Super jealous! HK is one of my favorite cities.