Forums Latest Members

Vintage watches in different climates. Hot vs Cold.

1. unxsr Jul 27, 2022

Random thought: Are vintage watches worse in hot climates or cold climates?
    I imagine hot and humid would be the worst but can't image somewhere freezing would be any better.

I had a watch that didn't perform well when i travelled to cold country. I assumed the oils were doing a weird thing and needed a service but maybe it didn't have anything to do with the weather and it just needed a service?

Edit: With a little help of Google I found an interesting read
    https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blogtempeffects.php?COLLCC=2131276123&

2. malilis Jul 27, 2022

Quite a read indeed !

unxsr likes this.
  3. gbesq Jul 27, 2022

I would imagine that a hot, humid maritime climate would be the worst. Most vintage watches are vulnerable to high humidity and there is nothing worse for anything with metal components than salt air and salt water. I've certainly seen the effect on cars that are kept at the beach - they age at an accelerated rate. As for cold climates, I've never given that much of a thought, but perhaps @Archer can chime in. He certainly has some experience with frigid temperatures in his locale.

Edited Jul 27, 2022
    unxsr likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 27, 2022

Based on personal experience, I don’t wear snap back cased vintage in the summer anymore. In general, winter or summer a high humidity situation is not optimal. The key entry point is the crown. Well serviced screw back cases are better in the summer.

unxsr likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2022

Obviously hot and humid is the worst for watches that may not seal well. Warm air is likely to have more water vapour in it than cold air does.

unxsr likes this.
  6. Bourne1984 Jul 27, 2022

Thanks for posting. I would feel it to be fairly obvious that humidity is greatest enemy.

unxsr likes this.
  7. kaplan Jul 27, 2022

I think heat cycles are bad too, I'm in Ankara, there's a 20 degree difference between day and night, maybe more, for example a crack in my windshield is now the size of my windshield from all the heat cycling

Similarly I believe enamel dials crack from heat cycles, so if I didn't keep watches in a climate controlled area, they could crack so much more from all the cycling

unxsr likes this.