Forums Latest Members

Vintage Watches..Do case back gaskets matter?

1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 29, 2016

Do case back gaskets matter on vintage watches? When you have a watch overhauled does your watchmaker install a new gasket as standard practice? I'm asking because I have a few without gaskets, one of which was recently worked on by my local watch repair shop. I am smart enough now to know not to even think about water when wearing vintage but does the gasket protect against normal respiration? I wear my watches. Thanks

2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 29, 2016

I'm certainly no expert. However I've never had or heard of a vintage watch repair that didn't include a new case-back gasket.

3. abrod520 Mar 29, 2016

It's probably still a good idea for atmospheric humidity, sweat, rain etc. Most (if not all) services I've had done and seen, include replacement of gaskets and seals in the caseback and around crown & pushers (if chrono)

SpicyWatch and MikiJ like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2016

I live in Australia so the back seal always gets changed, its a cheap part so there's no reason not to, crowns are typically kept on vintage pieces to preserve originality but there's zero reason to save a plexiglass or caseback seal unless its something unique like some early Rolex ones or a Universal Geneve with the logo etc.

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 29, 2016

+1 and 2 ;)

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 29, 2016

I think they do, especially on automatic watches like this SM300. Notice all the wear on the rotor, jewlels and movement. Notice the lack of a casket to properly set spacing between the rotor and the caseback. Without a gasket the caseback compressed the rotor.
    206724-591dd46e471443c0e8dc2ce695a88b3e.jpg

7. Hijak Mar 29, 2016

I think it's important, even though your vintage watches may not be waterproof, you want to minimize the incursion of any foreign matter.

Northernman likes this.
  8. cimo Mar 29, 2016

I would say it's worth it. As cheap as a gasket is, you're getting insurance against any accidental moisture entry through the case back. Even if you are careful about water there's always the unexpected errant hand washing, downpour, or perspiration. Even a simple humid day.

Then there is also the issue of the gasket as a spacer, mentioned in the above post. I don't think all watches would suffer in this manner, but why take the risk for a cheap part such as this.

Hijak likes this.
  9. danomar Mar 29, 2016

YES! If it was originally designed to take a gasket, replace it!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 29, 2016

More likely a very worn rotor pinion. If the case back "compressed the rotor" it would not turn and the watch would not wind...

Having said that, it's not a good idea to leave the gasket out.

Cheers, Al

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 29, 2016

Well I went back to my watchmaker and discovered that I was incorrect! I now know where the gasket goes. His comment "we'd never send a watch home without a gasket." Still a Noob. (But we just discussed gaskets and agreed they were necessary. ) thanks all.

Archer likes this.
  12. Tubber Mar 29, 2016

I wouldn't have thought the gasket had anything to do with spacing? It should just compress in the groove and the caseback screw down hard against the case.

13. Canuck Mar 30, 2016

I'll upload pictures of a few of my antique and vintage watches that were not designed to accomodate a gasket. So there is no one size fits all answer to whether a gasket should be fitted. If the watch WAS designed to have a gasket, it should have one. But case back gaskets are NOT the only component of a watch case that can admit contaminants. You might well ask whether it should be routine to replace crowns, case tubes, and crystals.

Tell me how you would expect to find gaskets in these watches!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2016

Nice pieces.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 30, 2016

Of course we are talking about watches designed to have gaskets...