Forums Latest Members
  1. newton982 Jul 18, 2017

If you had your choice, would you rather have a vintage watch that is in pristine condition, one that shows a little wear or one that shows a lot of character? I think my preference would be towards having one that was well worn but not abused. In the collector's world, is there a significant premium for something in mint condition, say for an example a 1965 Speedmaster that is in mint condition?

2. arcadelt Jul 18, 2017

Pristine would be nice, but extremely rare so you'd have either spend a lot or have a very lucky find. Therefore, I would prefer one with a little wear. Unfortunately I think the definition of patina has been overused to cover what is really bad deterioration, so I would tread warily and most likely avoid.

And, yes, I do think a premium is paid for pristine, hence why true new old stock is so highly rated.

dall-houston likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 18, 2017

If I had to pick, I'd go with Condition, Condition, Condition. Every day of the week.

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 18, 2017

Always a premium for examples of collectible watches that are in mint or top condition, sometimes very significant. In most vintage/antique circles patina is always better than refurbishment, but, as mentioned, patina is a word that can be stretched to within an inch of its life. I supposed patina can be extended to whatever is pleasant to the eye, but even that is subjective.

Collectors, though, are not an amorphous lot and so preferences are personal and depend largely on the collecting ethos to which they subscribe. Another aspect is that while there is little tolerance for defects or blemishes on a highly common watch, the level of tolerance increases in proportion to the degree of perceived rarity. It's amazing how the human mind compensates when something highly desirable has a few blemishes. That is when the word 'patina' is used with the greatest degree of creativity :)

5. jumpingsecond Jul 18, 2017

The museum quality piece is a Double edged bc you worry about it when you take it out for the evening. The one with a little wear and tear is good but then you get green when you see your friend's museum quality.

The one with character- what we say when its not a looker but we know what its made of underneath!

BenBagbag likes this.
  6. chipsotoole Jan 31, 2018

pat.jpg It's a very tricky minefield to go through. It also depends if you're looking at watches as an investment or a hobby. . If you wait around for museum quality, you'll find it, it'll take a very long time , and you'll pay for it, but you will find it. . I was looking about various sites last week and saw this. At first from a distance I thought no the dial ist messed up. .....but when I saw the patina toasted waffle effect up close I kinda liked it...presumably it will spread evenly over time. I've seen a lot of Movado's go really tropical. Anyway, I was wanting a Movado for my collection and and a SS Movado 50's bumper at just over 100 bucks (Patina or no) seemed like a bargain to me...

7. apm1 Jan 31, 2018

If you like vintage watches, you are interested in history and character.

Any watch had a past life, stories to tell and some scar. After all, they were mainly tools required to perform certain jobs.

I don’t like to cancel this history with a run of polish. Better to leave there the signs of time.

Off course people have also other ways to pursue this passion. Some people like watches dated 50+ years in pristine conditions.

Beware that the real NOS around are few and the majority are watches that have been refinished, in some case with laser in order to look like new. Is this passion for vintage?

nzshadow and ClarendonVintage like this.
  8. onthedial Feb 1, 2018

@newton982
    Q: If you had your choice, would you rather have a vintage watch that is in pristine condition, one that shows a little wear or one that shows a lot of character?
    A: One that’s in pristine condition. A close second would be an imperfect watch (condition-wise) that has significant provenance.

dall-houston likes this.
  9. westmtn Feb 1, 2018

I’ll say it depends on the watch and the patina. Aesthetically, for the most part, I prefer a very light patina but as I would also like to the be the cause of that patina I would opt for museum quality watches. ;)

10. 77deluxe Feb 1, 2018

Exactly. Depends on the watch and the patina

11. Dgercp Feb 1, 2018

For me the issue is what the watch visually does for me. Period.

chipsotoole likes this.
  12. chipsotoole Feb 1, 2018

Any of you that took the plunge into patinated vintage watches care to share a pic or 2?

13. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 1, 2018

It's been done here oodles of times, dozens of threads.

Here's one:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/pat...s-that-have-aged-patina-and-look-great.37344/

...and if there's a single guy who knows his patina, it's @kyle L.

And it's why we refer to his beauties, and many others, as possessing 'kyletina' :):

https://omegaforums.net/threads/some-pictures-of-patina.27528/

My favorite watch in the above thread was posted by @Tire-comedon. The JLC on the first page...[​IMG]

Edited Feb 1, 2018
  14. fjf Feb 1, 2018

[​IMG]

voere, GuiltyBoomerang and Vitezi like this.
  15. tritto Feb 1, 2018

It's an interesting question. Any collector will go for the best condition he can find within his budget and I'm no exception.
    However, I tend to be quite careful with these watches - even if they're not valuable.
    On the other hand, I picked up a 145.022 71 Speedmaster with service parts and a case that is far from sharp. I can wear it doing most things and know that any extra wear I put on it isn't going to impact on its value. I can wrestle with the kids without worrying like I might with other vintage watches.
    For me, vintage in decent condition will always win over a modern watch.

16. GuiltyBoomerang Feb 1, 2018

I'll play...my own 551 Constellation:

[​IMG]

And if you want more patina, one picture from @cristos71's Marvin chronograph listing:

[​IMG]

Personally for me, I have rarely come across vintage models that were in immaculate condition - there was always some wear here and there. One that is being serviced soon may change my mind on that though :eek:

17. Canuck Feb 1, 2018

This one was acquired in pieces, after having sat in the cough lozenge can for more than 40 years. What continues to amaze me is that it appears to have been shelved by an original owner after it became the victim of water damage. The steel parts behind the dial were rusty, but not so bad they couldn’t be cleaned up and put back into service. But to me, the most amazing part is the original, un-restored dial that was unaffected by water intrusion. Patina? Pull the dial and there is patina, minor though it is. The case is NOS Omega.

63F4A4F5-1BD6-4343-AAAA-009CE767C003.jpeg

18. thegreentreefrog Feb 1, 2018

Vintage watches that don't show some HONEST WEAR can be suspect (Franken,Fake, Watchco) If you can prove PROVENIENCE you may still have a investor that will be GUN SHY. Leave it alone don't have it polished , unless you want to wear wear and enjoy it.
    Photo of my Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 26xxxxxx serial number.
    Yes the Bezel looks like NEW it was knocked off the watch and stored in a drawer for 48 years, the watch was worn and scratched .
    The Provenance> Photo of my Military Passport 1968 ( you can't FAKE this its on a KODACHROME 35mm slide. ) OM1.jpg p
    I grade the watch G8-G9 VERY RARE ORIGINAL,

PassportXX.jpg
    Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    Shibata, voere and tritto like this.
  19. Shibata Feb 1, 2018

I am envious of that bezel!

The SM300 is a great example of a vintage watch that looks great in not pristine condition. When they have a nice cream even patina, a crazed dial and 50 years of non abusive wear they look stunning to me.

I guess it depends on the watch. I like a constellation to look as close to pristine as possible, but a don't mind a sports watch to have some wear and character.

Here is mine.

SM300.1.jpg

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
  20. thegreentreefrog Feb 1, 2018

Very Nice!