Forums Latest Members
  1. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

Hi All, A friend has come across a vintage Omega in the family and was wondering if anyone could help him ID the model/year. Apologies I currently only have a couple of pretty poor photos.
    Dial has:
    "Omega
    Chronometre
    Officially certified"
    Swiss made
    Case is approx 32mm without crown
    omega.jpg omegaband.jpg

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 6, 2017

Take it to a competent watchmaker, open the back, take pics of the case-back and the movement (especially the serial number) and come back here.

3. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

Case-back is nude. Would love to pop the case and check the movement but the watch is in another country and this is currently not an option. Just trying to find out as much as I can with these 2 poor pics unfortunately.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 6, 2017

inside of the case back would normally have a reference number (I should have said 'pic of inside of caseback'). and the movement will give a calibre, as well as a serial number. Without this, its unlikely anybody can help you.

5. Edward53 Jul 6, 2017

It's really difficult to say much from those two photos, but it looks as if this could be quite a valuable watch in very good condition, perhaps in 18K gold. Do not ask your friend to try removing the caseback himself as gold scratches very easily. Better, close-up photos would help. There might be hallmarks on the case and/or the bracelet. Edited to add: Looking again at the bracelet end, the low-quality popped-open link suggests it's unlikely to be gold.

6. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

The bracelet has the 18k stamp. 19873938_10155331200216101_1804104504_n.jpg

7. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

Thanks all for your help. Assuming it's authentic and running, what sort of value would you put on it? He is trying to determine if it's worth taking to a watchmaker and getting serviced but doesn't want to spend more than the watch is worth. I hope he takes it because I really want to know what's inside and get some decent pics :)

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 6, 2017

I'd be surprised if anyone is willing to give a value based on those photos.

9. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

Fair enough. I'd be happy with a rough ballpark figure though.

10. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 6, 2017

Any ballpark figure would be strictly Little League. There is simply not enough information to go on.

But since this is The Internet and I am a World Renown Expert On The Internet I'll say bunt.

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 6, 2017

It is an interesting looking piece, however.

12. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

So let me phrase it this way. If those three pics were all the info you had, how much would you be comfortable risking if you had the opportunity to buy it. Assuming the gold is real.

13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 6, 2017

363.569 and not a farthing more.

I love how "I've only got two pictures" becomes three.

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 6, 2017

Whether the bracelet is gold has little bearing on the value of the watch. We can play this game all day but until you provide better photos, you're not going to get a value. I would sell the bracelet, if really gold, to pay for a service. Then your "friend" can put a quality strap on it and have a nice watch.

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 6, 2017

Third was added later in the thread.

16. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

LOL I love the scepticism in some of the responses.

It's not my watch, I do have a "friend" who is currently in the UK visiting family, I am in Australia. He isn't a huge watch guy but knows enough that it would be a shame to leave an interesting piece languishing in the bottom of a drawer. That said the owner in his family now knows it may be worth something and isn't just going to give away. Do I realise it is hard to determine make/model/value based on a couple of crap pics ...yes. If copious amounts of google image searching had provided any clue to the model, value etc. I wouldn't be here. But hey feel free to continue to question my intentions, it wouldn't be the internet otherwise. For the record I do appreciate the sharing of hard earned knowledge.

17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 6, 2017

Its easy.
    Get a competant watchmaker to
    1) open the caseback
    2) take clear pictures of the insides of everything, specifically the caseback (inside, where a model reference number of the older watches usually is, and the movement serial number (and caliber) on the movement)
    3) post them here
    Then you will get the information you are looking for.

In anycase, even if you lose out, and the original seller want to sell this off, they would be asked to furnish such pics regardless.

18. Dealy Jul 6, 2017

LOL If I could take the watch to a competent watchmaker and get all this information would I really need to be posting here?

19. jumpingsecond Jul 6, 2017

What is the rush anyway? Whatever ballpark figure you get could on 2 photos could have a significant margin of error so the value would be meaningless at this point and not something you could act on in any intelligent way. Imo might be better to wait until you can get watch to a watchmaker who can help you provide the info. Then the members here will give you a feast of info re. The watch and its value.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2017

As said without case back off its hard to pinpoint year or model. A few more photos of inside caseback would help.

As of now it's worth the gold value. ( if it is gold ) head only if it's original and gold it's worth $500-800 with the few average photos it's worth $2-300 in my book

Clearer pictures of the dial will tell us condition and if the dial is all original.