Forums Latest Members
  1. OregonDrifter Apr 13, 2012

I need help finding a name for the style and a date and price estimation. The watch that I found has omega - automatic on the face and on the back cover says *14k gold filled. It's also engraved with a R.B. Tuttle. On the insides of the cover it has a serial number I that's 14460669. Under the omega sign it also has G-6239. On the mechanical side it says seventeen, 17, jewels, unadjusted, omega sign with 351 and these numbers in another spot 12824154. Any help would be awesome! Thanks Jason.

The leather band was also strange as it goes behind the back and has L. gold on the clasp.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2012

Can you post some photos? The more pictures the better

3. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2012

It sounds like a US made case. The serial number on the movement dates it to 1951, which is correct period for the caliber 351. Omega sent movements to the US for installation in gold cases to avoid the import tax on precious metals and calibers of more than 17 jewels.

OregonDrifter likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 13, 2012

How you Americans handle import taxes, duties and tariffs truly boggles the mind :eek:

Its like people importing quality products are penalised while complete crap is let straight in the door ::screwloose::

Not just watches either, cars are a prime example!

OregonDrifter likes this.
  5. OregonDrifter Apr 14, 2012

This is great thanks for the help!

photo (2).JPG photo(2) (2).JPG photo(4) (2).JPG
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 14, 2012

US duties are ridiculously cheap as compared to some other countries...like Australia, for example. I checked out my new Volvo on the Aussie site and it's about twice the price there than here, even figuring in a GST vs. sales tax computation.

Our customs rules are complicated to administer, a lot like our income tax laws. It's 5pm on Saturday and I'm still in the office waiting for tax information.

We Americans love sports with complicated rules, like baseball and American football.

Part of the culture, I suppose,
    gatorcpa

PS - Nice watch! Definitely a US national production model.

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 14, 2012

No duty/tax on any imports under $1000 is sure nice, though (in AU) :)

8. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 14, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

When it comes to tax, duty, excise and GST, etc, you name it, we have it. Soon there will be the carbon tax, despite Australia's carbon emission is virtually negligible, compared to those industrialized countries. Isn't Down Under a lucky country?

When it comes to the tax system, just ask any accountant, how complicated ours is. Ironically, the big players pay minimal tax, while the have-not pay the maximum, percentage-wise.

Thank-you.

9. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 14, 2012

Respectable Member Trev

For how long more, do we enjoy this little sweetener?

Thank-you.

10. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 15, 2012

I certainly hope it stays a permanent thing. :thumbsup: