Forums Latest Members

**SCAMMER ALERT** Vintage-Watch-Collection

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincereynard May 1, 2016

I bought a total of 4 watches from this dealer - http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com
    Run by a chap called Marcus Hardy. Based in Beverley Yorkshire.

It is an comprehensive site, which is what suckered me in in the first place.
    The basic philosophy that lies behind this website... is one of offering a very high standard of vintage watches for sale, primarily for buyers looking to purchase as serious investments...take a watch and methodically go through it step by step,..enabling even somebody with no previous knowledge of vintage wristwatches to have exactly the same information available to him as a seasonedconnoisseur ... In real terms, this creates a level playing field between the hardened professional and the total novice,”

First watch was an 1972 Omega 368.0847 (?), solid 18K, sold as mint. It looked it in the images. When it arrived it had a chip in the crystal and definite wear on the emblem. By definition – not mint. I paid £3000 it is worth maybe £2500 as gold bullion - not a great loss.

But neither mint nor the investment quality it was sold for. His excuse was that “I should expect some damage and marks on an old watch.” A phrase curiously missing from his sales patter. He patently has a different conception of the meaning of “mint”.

The big hit was a 1933, solid 18K, Le Coultre DuoPlan. If it was a man's watch worth £3000+ surely. But I had no idea, as was not told, that ladies “cocktail watches, had little market or value. I have also had it valued by a JLC expert, (he that wrote the book.), and it has been confirmed that it also has had a redial at some point.

Again his own site -
    ..offered several early Jaeger LeCoultre pieces each week, in most instances, we reject these on the basis that they are too badly worn, contain non-original components or have restored dials.”“It is no exaggeration to say that in the vintage wristwatch world, dials are everything... a so-called restored dial will dramatically reduce the commercial worth and the saleability of a watch.

It is a tricky thing to admit one has been a naive idiot but, the situation can occur when one has to trust the advice given. And in my slight defense, there were extenuating circumstances at the time. I have sent a full letter of complaint and it has been ignored. I have also had sent a formal complaint by a London Barrister. It has also been ignored! I could use litigation but that would have inevitable costs with no guarantee of a positive result, even if I won.

I have since seen him described as parasite and snake oil seller. Which is a bit tough on certain parasites which can be useful. Sadly I was unaware of this site before dealing with him.

This is, by necessity, a brief overview. It will be of some compensation if no other serious watch lover gets similarly treated with such arrogance and slight concern. Remember the name - Marcus Hardy.

Avoid at all costs.

Snowman, Leopold and blacka01 like this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! May 1, 2016

Oh, my, really sorry that you had to run into that dude.

I, too, saw his site about a year ago; beautiful pics, great 'reads' about the watches, and a bit of education. I was nearly suckered in, too, but I made sure I 'vetted' the one I wanted before I bought anything, and @ulackfocus told me to 'run away', which I did!

I wish I had an answer/solution, but I appreciate you bringing his 'low-down', dirty practices to the attention of others, so that they may avoid the same experience...

All the best...

Duracuir1 and Leopold like this.
  3. Just Livin May 1, 2016

Thanks for sharing. Appreciated.
    Also came across this site about a year ago. Never bought anything from it. Just took a peek to marvel at some of the watches. Thankfully nothing that was really was in the scope of my interest.
    But non the less sorry to hear of your plight.

Leopold likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2016

Research would have ran a few red flags, he's been doing it for years.

Never nice to get stung , with 4 painful.

Leopold and jimmyjay like this.
  5. ulackfocus May 1, 2016

When a Picard / Riker face palm isn't enough, there's the ultimate face palm of them all:

Jesus-facepalm.jpg

When Jesus himself face palms you, it's bad. Very bad.

Please, please, please ask here BEFORE you buy.

(marking this thread with my special word - ecclesiastical)

6. vincereynard May 2, 2016

Thanks for the replies people.
    Unfortunately I joined this forum 2 weeks after I'd bought the watches!
    Looked for a review on VWC and only tripped one that was essentially neutral.

Now I know, as I suspected, Mr Hardy has been a slippery stinker for a long time I may reconsider
    further action. According to my brief, the major problem would be convincing a judge, who one
    assumes knows nothing of watches, that Hardy sold them knowing them to be described fraudulently.

And I would need a rock solid assessment that the court would accept and could not be realistically challenged.

Tricky. Or I can simple spread the word as far and possible.

Any suggestions as to further valuable forums would be appreciated. (Some attached to dealers naturally do not want to know.)

Edited May 2, 2016
  7. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 2, 2016

8. Just Livin May 2, 2016

If it went to court I would expect that the judge would have an independent expert to assist.
    But you have receipt of sale and the description of goods on your side.

9. vincereynard May 6, 2016

Watchdog? Now that's an idea! Thanks.

Not getting receipts, even after repeated requests, is one of the problems.

Much like this member -
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-purchase-from-vintage-watches-collection.14126/#post-159030

Edited May 6, 2016
  10. parkes coventry Jun 11, 2017

11. parkes coventry Jun 11, 2017

Totally agree...I too was suckered in....paid top price for what looked to be a good example....but received no receipt, no way of proving the correct age of the watch...the guy disappears as soon as there is any query...the web site still shows examples that were supposedly sold years ago...Marcus Hardy is a rogue...AVOID...AVOID...AVOID

12. vincereynard Jun 12, 2017

I have been a bit busy the last year with another project. -
    P1040742.JPG

That is virtually sorted now so I think I shall definitely have a bit of a pop at the lying thief Mr Hardy.

Starting with Trading Standards and BBC Watchdog as suggested by M- a -L above.

Fancy joining me?

Vince

13. Nathan1967 Jun 14, 2017

Hi Vince, I have no evidence for you unfortunately. But A few months ago I did spend 2 minutes on the phone with him, he's one of those people that exudes untrustworthyness within just a few words. He seemed tetchy, shifty and generally loathsome, regarding just a simple enquiry. Personally, if Watchdog could get this toad on camera I think it would make for a very interesting programme.

I hope that things resolve themselves for you.

All the best

Nathan

14. marco Jun 17, 2017

This guy is absolute crap, do not be impressed by his factual verbosity. I can assure you it will not pertain to "your" watch. Redial should d be his middle name. Stay well clear.

Leopold likes this.
  15. dall-houston Oct 2, 2017

I'm so grateful this was posted. I had been looking at several of the watches on this site.

marco and Leopold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.