Forums Latest Members

Vintage VC small seconds original?

1. wolfrichter Jan 26, 2022

Hello everyone,

can anyone confirm from these unfortunately relatively bad pictures whether this Vacheron i found online may be original? I can't seem to find a similar model online and the "swiss" at 6 seems to be missing.

IMG_7666.PNG
    "swiss" seems to be missing, lettering seems fine to me (as a VC noob)
    IMG_7667.PNG
    completely blank caseback on the outside
    IMG_7668.PNG
    To me, the caliber seems to be missing some inscriptions (no. of jewels etc.) but i found a similar one online. Also, plastic caliber holder?
    IMG_7669.PNG
    You can see some watchmakers' marks on the inside of the caseback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll write more as soon as I'm off work.

Thanks!

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 26, 2022

I know nothing about these, but the case seems heavily polished, and there is a lot of pitting on the “rims”. It looks tarted up for sale

Tony C. and Larry S like this.
  3. TheGreekPhysique Jan 26, 2022

I found the ebay ad for this watch but the pictures unfortunately are not any better making it very difficult to evaluate the originality of this piece. It’s a frankenwatch. If movement is indeed from VC, which I don’t believe to be the case, it’s from 1935-1940. The dial is from later.

Edited Jan 28, 2022
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 31, 2022

The movement is supposed to be a V453, but it is missing a ton of what should be there...

5. SangamoSpecial Feb 1, 2022

A high grade company as VC would never use a plastic caliber holder...

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2022

While I understand the reasoning behind this sentiment, I don't believe this is a reliable indicator of a watch being genuine. Case in point, this is a very genuine Patek Philippe that I serviced a while back:

[​IMG]

The movement spacer was made of plastic...

[​IMG]

So based on the spacer alone, I would not make a judgement...

Having said that, the vintage VC's I've serviced have metal spacers.

7. SangamoSpecial Feb 2, 2022

8. SangamoSpecial Feb 2, 2022

Maybe Patek saved 5,00 $ using plastic instead of metal. Seeing this is quite disappointing but times are getting worse everywhere. At least they don't have an ETA movement inside so far ...