Forums Latest Members

Vintage Vacheron Constantin (VC) fonts

1. NT931 Jun 8, 2019

I'm looking at vintage VC time only watches from the 1940s-1960s, and boy they are confusing when it comes to fonts.

So far, it seems like
    a) there should be an accent on the middle E of "GENEVE"
    b) there should be an ampersand
    c) the ampersand should (I think) have a rounded top
    d) 'Swiss' at the bottom

So based on my little knowledge so far this one below is correct?

AO VC4870 pic2.jpg

In contrast though , this subseconds one below is perhaps wrong as it's missing the accent? (or did it wear off?). The rest of the dial seems OK though.

VC lot 869.png

All this is mightily confusing, and browsing through old vintage VC discussion threads here and on other fora doesn't seem to reveal much more. The Hour Lounge used to be helpful, but their old discussion threads seem to have gone after their move to IG, sigh...

Could I thus check with fellow OF members:
    1. is my understanding, listed as (a) to (d) above correct?
    2. Any other resources for vintage VC, now that the Hour Lounge has moved?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edited Jun 8, 2019
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 8, 2019

V&C dials can be tricky. The easiest to confirm as original are those with "Champlevé" signatures, such as this:

[​IMG]

More typical, flat signatures do vary. I suspect that the first is correct, though would need a larger and better image to be confident. The second is possibly correct, but strikes me as being suspiciously clean for an older model, and also given how heavily the case appears to have been polished. The font looks ok, and quite similar to this, which I believe to be original:

[​IMG]

NT931 likes this.
  3. CaptainWinsor Jun 8, 2019

The S looks bad in the last photo. Is that the way they are?

MikiJ likes this.
  4. NT931 Jun 9, 2019

Gosh, looks like I have more to learn, but the info provided so far has helped in that journey - thanks @Tony C. and @CaptainWinsor !