Forums Latest Members

Vintage Tissot Seastar Automatic on Ebay

1. jshaw083 Feb 26, 2018

Hey guys,

I'm not buying these days...But just saw this on Ebay. I'm always on the lookout for good examples of vintage Tissots. Font seems to check out, although I can't seem to find another example with crosshairs, and both seastar and automatic. Font itself comparable to other examples though with either seastar or automatic on it. Has crown with original Tissot logo, although looks like the top of the crown is SS to match the caseback.

Watch is in Austria. Price looks good to me for the condition. I'm curious what you guys think though. If it checks out and someone is interested, I'd be happy for someone on OF to pick it up.

Serial number starting with 33xxxxx would date it to 1955. Cal 28.5R 21 seems like an older movement for Seastars, but would line up with the years listed below on Ranfft.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Tissot_28_5R_21

-J.

Tissot1.JPG Tissot2.JPG Tissot3.JPG Tissot4.JPG Tissot5.JPG Tissot6.JPG Tissot7.JPG Tissot8.JPG Tissot9.JPG
  2. falden101 Feb 26, 2018

Don't actually know anything about Tissot-history and what goes where - but it is a really good looking watch. Vintage Tissots generally seem underappreciated, maybe influenced by the lower standard of the the 1970's and 80's.

3. GuiltyBoomerang Feb 26, 2018

Crown would be plated correctly, should just be camera angle and lighting that make it appear that way.

Case and caseback appear to have been polished, though the case still has some edges.

If you feel the price is appropriate, it's not too shabby.

4. Vitezi Feb 26, 2018

The caliber 28.5R-21 was introduced in 1953, and was Tissot's in-house automatic movement into the early 60s. The Seastar model was launched in 1954 as a water-resistant, three-hand steel sports watch in both manual and automatic flavors (and it remained this way through the 1960s) but you can find dressy examples as well. Here's a Seastar from 1958, in it's native habitat by the sea: ;)
    [​IMG]

In the late 1960s and 70s, Tissot added the Seastar name to a range of sport chronographs as seen in this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-tissot.63179/

Edited Feb 26, 2018
    jshaw083 and ClarendonVintage like this.
  5. ClarendonVintage Feb 26, 2018

Late by more than a day in a Tissot thread! C'mon Vitezi! :D :D

jshaw083 and Vitezi like this.