Forums Latest Members
  1. bbozic Mar 26, 2018

Hey guys,

I found this vintage Tissot with an unusual dial for sale. According to the sellers info its in working condition with unknown service history and the caliber is a 27 B-1 from 1958. I have never seen a Tissot with this kind of dial and hands before. But on the other hand im not a Tissot expert for that matter either. I think it looks beautiful and interesting. What do you think about it? Original and legit? 89ACE225-3220-47CF-90E0-FEAB6BCF2536.jpeg E0B32778-560D-44D5-8EA5-1A17C4EDFEB0.jpeg 21CC1025-F902-4898-854F-7CF66CD91A40.jpeg B9E81F81-2F8F-4DC3-BD7E-D306A23B8EF8.jpeg

Edited Mar 26, 2018
    Jerseyhammer likes this.
  2. Vitezi Mar 26, 2018

I suspect the dial has been repainted and relumed, but otherwise it is a legitimate model. Anytime you see black printing on a pristine white dial on a 60 year old watch, you should take a closer look. Indications of a repainted dial are best observed with very close-up photos, or in person with a loupe.

In your example, look for concentric circle grooves in the subdial. If the subdial looks smooth because the grooves have been filled in with paint, that's a dead giveaway that the dial has been repainted.
    upload_2018-3-26_10-27-19.png

Also, take a close look at the raised hour markers and raised logo. You're looking for paint that has crept up the sides of the raised markers. On original dials, the raised markers were applied after the dial had been painted. But on repainted dials the raised markers are commonly left in place during the repainting process, and the new paint tends to wick up the sides of the markers due to liquid adhesion. (I suspect the hands and markers have been repainted as well)
    upload_2018-3-26_10-30-4.png

Look for consistent spacing of the minute markers. In the photo above, examine the distance between the 11:59 minute marker, the 12 o'clock lume dot, and the 12:01 marker. On an original dial, the spacing will be perfect. On a repainted dial, maybe not so much.

Vintage watch collectors prefer factory original dials, but this may not matter to you. Watches were repainted all the time back in the day. It's a nice looking watch overall. But if you intend to become a vintage watch collector, I'd encourage you to keep looking. There are plenty of good examples out there.

Edited Mar 26, 2018
    Edward53, ConElPueblo and bbozic like this.
  3. bbozic Mar 26, 2018

Thank you for your long and detailed answer! Very helpful :) I had a feeling that the dial was repainted but i wasnt sure how to spot the giveaways. I asked the seller about it and he replied back to me an hour ago saying that the dial is all original :p maybe he thinks it is? Im not a full-on collector, i just like watches and i prefer them vintage :)

4. Jerseyhammer Mar 26, 2018

I know that repsints etc are a no no for some collecters , but it has clearly been refurbed but looks great. So if it meets your price and you like the look of it enjoy it for what it's worth

bbozic likes this.
  5. bbozic Mar 26, 2018

I own four Omegas in original condition and i work in the automotive business with my hands so i dont dare to use them at work risking scratching them up. I need a Tissot beater for that :whistling: price is 100 € on auction as of now