Forums Latest Members

SOLD Vintage Steel Longines CONQUEST Cal. 291 Auto w/ Beautiful Silver Track Dial — SERVICED

1. tomvox1 Dec 8, 2015

LonginesConquest291-lng copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-4 copy.jpg Up for sale is this all-time classic 1960 Longines Conquest reference 9024 in stainless steel 3-piece water resistant case. This example features a beautiful original brushed silver dial with very cool, highly stylized markers placed upon a polished sunken beveled track and date at "12". This Conquest is one of the classic mid-century Longines vintage dress models and is in Excellent original vintage condition overall, with a sharp case and green-enameled "fish" caseback medallion intact. It is powered by the excellent in-house caliber 291 full-rotor automatic movement with date complication, one of Longines' finest movements back in the day. This long-lugged beauty is a classic gent's dress size at 35mm in diameter but definitely wears larger due to the large face and big wingspan. It was recently overhauled by my watchmaker for years' more faithful service to its new owner and therefore will come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal non-abusive use. Additionally, the new owner will also get a PDF copy of an email from Longines' excellent Heritage department confirming that the movement & case match and that the watch was originally invoiced in 1960 to their UK agent at that time, Baume & Co.

The asking price for this super stylish and fully serviced vintage Longines Conquest is $1250 USD including fully insured FedEx worldwide shipping. Bank Wire preferred but Paypal is also OK with split fees (+2% to the buyer). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch
    will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

LonginesConquestCal291-6 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-1 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-3 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-2 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-7 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-bk copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-move1 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-move2 copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-innrbk copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-crwn copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-sd copy.jpg LonginesConquestCal291-7 copy.jpg
    CASE & BEZEL: 3-piece Calatrava-style stainless steel case with slim press-on bezel and screwed back in the classic men's dress size of 35mm wide (not including crown) by a quite substantial 44mm long. The long, downward sloping straight lugs have crisp chamfers and it doesn't look to me as if the case has been polished. There are marks from wear but no major dings or nicks, Excellent vintage condition. The original stamped numbers are still present under the top left lug, as is the "C" under the top right. The bezel also appears unpolished and shows its original bevel with only minor marks from wear. The back is dedication-free and shows a few more scratches from poor opening technique though nothing too bad -- Very Good cosmetic condition. The original "LONGINES - AUTOMATIC- WATERPROOF" golden medallion with fish logo and green enamel highlights is intact and crisp with just a bit of that green paint missing after 55 years. The inner back is corrosion-free with all correct Longines nomenclature of the period including the appropriate model number for this type of cal. 291 Conquest, ref. 9024, as well as the correct metal "gasket" for water resistance when properly screwed in.

DIAL & HANDS: Beautiful original factory printed silver dial with vertical brushed pattern and eccentric, faceted bar & coffin style markers overlapping a sunken stepped metallic track. Absolutely one of the coolest and most unusual dial layouts that I've ever come across and certainly a design classic by Longines. The framed date aperture is at "12" and all dial printing and minute/seconds ticks are crisp and factory original, as is the applied Longines "Wings" logo. The dial does show some age with light pitting/spotting and some other small imperfections to the surface visible under a loupe but this hardly detracts from its beauty on the wrist. Additionally, the original small luminous rectangles at the quarters are still present. By my strict standards, I rate this dial as in Excellent original vintage condition. The matching luminous hands with distinctive "pointer"-style tips are likewise Excellent with signs of aging and their original slim luminous filling present if well toned. A remarkably unique dial layout and unquestionably one of the most distinctive and handsome in the vintage watch world!

CROWN: Correct signed small 8-pointed steel crown has mild surface wear but sits flush to the case, winds smoothly and pulls out to the time setting position, as it should.

CRYSTAL: Nicely domed acrylic crystal with cool date magnifier at "12" is very clean with only minor wear, Near Mint.

MOVEMENT: Ticking away inside is the excellent in-house Longines cal. 291 24-jewel automatic movement with shock protection, semi-quickset date function and 11 million serial number. This was a very advanced movement at the time, borderline revolutionary really, with a number of technological innovations proprietary to Longines, such as highly efficient and durable pawl wheels among other features. As mentioned, this great movement was recently fully overhauled and is therefore obviously keeping good time with all functions working as they should and a good power reserve. It will therefore also come with a 6-month movement guarantee for all normal, non-abusive use.

BAND: This classic Longines comes on a brand new black leather strap with semi-gloss lizard finish from de Beer Paris and generic steel buckle. This watch takes 18mm straps.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great 100% genuine vintage Longines is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
    T.
    [email protected]

LonginesConquestCal291-5 copy.jpg
  2. pcdubc Dec 8, 2015

What a watch! And I missed it...

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. JohnSteed Dec 9, 2015

Can't believe I missed this s!! Congrats....still

pcdubc likes this.
  4. tomvox1 Dec 9, 2015

Thanks, guys!
    Yeah, she was gone in a flash. But at least it was to another forum member here -- so it stays in the "family"! :thumbsup:
    Thanks again & Happy Holidays,
    Tom