Forums Latest Members
  1. dondaca Aug 5, 2018

Hello friends, I am new to the forum and need some help here.

I've inherited this speedy pre moon (cal 321) from my father.

My grandfather gave it to my father as a wedding present in 1967 (that's an established fact) but I think it was a second hand item (no professional" word in dial so it must be pre 1965) becouse the parts .

15 years ago the watch stopped working and my father let it rest in a draw - he never serviced it otherwise tan changin the bracelet, the original one is lost - till now.
    Right now, I am thinking to have it serviced, in a good local vintage watchmaker and start wearing it but I am some what confused about the parts, the dial has short index, the crono watch is flat... I don´t know if this is legit mixture or if some replacemnet is required.......
    I will thank any light here.
    IMG_20180523_182137.jpg IMG_20180523_182205.jpg IMG_20180523_182218.jpg
    Cheers

Fialetti and marco like this.
  2. Marty McDawg Aug 5, 2018

Damn if inherited, rare Speedys aren’t coming out of the woodwork recently. Next years Mooniversary is chumming up the waters.

OP, it’s a beauty. Plenty of folks far more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly to drop pearls of wisdom.

Again, a great looking watch.

DaveK, marco, Caliber561 and 2 others like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 5, 2018

3 in 3 days wow.

Where are you located that would help in recommendation of someone close to you.

dondaca and Marty McDawg like this.
  4. dondaca Aug 5, 2018

Well, too many old people is passin away these days, rule of life.

I come from Spain and I have some local watchmakers references here, that's not trouble. Of course I am not going to send it to Omega becouse I dont want it redone in a modern way.

Strangely enough is that I kknow the speedy is premoon for sure, but what about that chrono hand? Why the dial seems a service dial if I know my father never service it? Why my grandfather gave to my parent as a weeding present a speedy in 1967 wich seems to be from 62-64, but has parts that are not matching that years? Sadly I can't get the answers from them so here I am.

I will service it as it - I really like and it will be always a memoy of my father - unless otherwise agreed about that dial and chrono.
    Cheers.

Marty McDawg likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 5, 2018

An Interesting watch, with a rare service dial with short indices. It has a step. You have the original bezel so thats good.
    It will tidy up niceley.
    Send it to http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/ -he knows how to deal with a watch like this without destroying the value and keeping the attraction.

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 5, 2018

Hard to tell from the pics but looking at those lugs will take a bet on 105.003-64

Marty McDawg and dondaca like this.
  7. jaguar11 Aug 5, 2018

I can't say whether or not the watch is in correct configuration. However, having belonged to your father for all those years I personally could not care less if I wanted to. It is what it is and would for me have value beyond measurement. Good luck!

DaveK, bloomy, dondaca and 1 other person like this.
  8. dondaca Aug 5, 2018

Never in doubt jaguar11 !!

DaveK and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. Georgieboy58 Aug 5, 2018

Don't worry about the date of 1967, even though the latest stamping in the caseback for these watches is 105.003-65 they have been built for quite a while after 1965.
    Mine has an extract of the archives that states that it was built in January 1968.
    You will have more clarity when the serial number is known, but don't try to open it with scissors (as somebody already did ;-) )

dondaca and Marty McDawg like this.
  10. Marty McDawg Aug 5, 2018

Tis true @dondaca The rich history of the Speedy coupled with your personal history with it...Priceless. A true gem.

dondaca likes this.
  11. auxpomme Aug 5, 2018

My sincerest advice...
    absolutely send that to me now.
    That’s all I’ve got at the moment. :)

dondaca likes this.
  12. wsfarrell Aug 5, 2018

Reminds me of a quote from a surgeon I knew: "Often wrong, never in doubt."

dondaca likes this.
  13. Dan S Aug 5, 2018

The hands could all be legit Speedmaster hands, but it seems like some mixing has taken place between models, and probably some service parts. Personally, I don't think I would worry about it. Just have it serviced and cleaned up - then enjoy it.

Edited Aug 5, 2018
    dondaca likes this.
  14. kkt Aug 5, 2018

No idea if you have service replacements for some parts, but if you're not trying to sell it, I wouldn't worry about it. This is the configuration your father wore the watch. Don't put too much faith in the serial number chart, that's a rough guide good for 2-3 years at best. The movements were not put in cases in order.

My understanding is that some caliber 321 parts are no longer available even from Omega. Ask whatever watchmaker you have in mind if they have a spare parts stock before you turn it over for service.

dondaca likes this.
  15. Skier Aug 5, 2018

A this stage I wouldn't worry about the chrono second hand too much. Are you comfortable getting the case back off? I would use a silicon ball to do this if possible as it's likely to be very stiff. If not take it to a repectable jeweller/watchmaker and ask them to do it. I suggest doing this to find the movement number and also the date from the inside of the case back. Additionally, can you add a photograph of the information on the inside of the bracelet clasp and the numbers on the underside of the bracelet end links. Whilst clearly the bracelet could be replacement it would appear unlikely from the story and photographs.

It's a lovely thing and will be a great memento with which to remember both your father and grandfather. I would echo the recommendation to contact Simon Freese in the UK (my 1964 Ed White Speedmaster is currently with him).

Edited Oct 24, 2018
    dondaca likes this.
  16. dondaca Aug 6, 2018

Got case back off:
    2998-62
    Serial range 1983xxxx

A true vintage.

JimJupiter, sjg22 and Davidt like this.
  17. Davidt Aug 6, 2018

Great heirloom. It certainly has service parts and has been polished but if your keeping it in the family this is of no consequence. The service parts are now vintage in their own right and are an important part of the history of the watch.

I'd keep it exactly as is, save for a full service, case clean (not polish). and crystal polish.

18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 6, 2018

Very good advice offered earlier. www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com

dondaca likes this.
  19. dondaca Aug 6, 2018

Ok, members, thank you for all your helpful replies.
    The watch will go for a service at a vintage watchmaker and I will keep my father's configuration.
    Thank you again.

20. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 7, 2018

This is going to be an interesting one to follow @dondaca. Be great if you can add some post-service pictures.:thumbsup:

marco and airansun like this.