Forums Latest Members
  1. hxw Jan 31, 2013

Vintage-aficionados, I am in need of your assistance.

I am considering purchasing a vintage Speedmaster, more specifically a transtional model from 1969/1970. It has a pre-moon case and back, and is housing a cal. 861 from 1970.
    According to the seller, the seller he bought it from had it serviced sometime the last two years.

Pictures of it can be found here: Link

I am asking assistance in determining its authenticity, any questions I should ask the seller, and whether or not $2,400 is a fair price for this piece.

Cheers,
    hxw

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

Nice example - clean case and dial. Bezel looks to me to be a later replacement. I would say $2400 is an ok price to pay and would have no problem at that level if it had the original "dot over 90" bezel. If you can get the price down by 10-15% it would be an even better buy but as is at that price it's not bad.

3. hxw Jan 31, 2013

Thank you MSNWatch.

Do you mean that bezel has been replaced somewhere along the line, or that if it was a model with the "dot over 90"-bezel it would be a more fitting price?
    I've read on another forum that from '69 and to this day, they have been using the bezel with the "dot next 90" bezel - but with variations of the font used on "TACHYMÈTRE" , so I would believe that the bezel is original.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

The dot over 90 bezel was originally used for this 861 speedmaster with this caseback design. I am saying that since the bezel on this watch is a later replacement and not the original bezel that came with the watch when it was first sold, you should try to negotiate a lower price. But even at $2400, the price is not so bad even if the bezel is not the original one.

hxw likes this.
  5. hxw Jan 31, 2013

Thank you for the clarification MSNWatch! :)