Forums Latest Members
  1. Kwijibo Nov 15, 2015

Hi from Paris folks. Times are sad these days but I don't want to give up life and its passions.
    Someone offers me to buy a vintage 321 speedy. It's a Collins' SP145012-67 case. So, not with straight lugs. The movement is amazingly perfect and bares the right serial numbers. the case is clean too. used but not worn out, and with no big bumps.
    The only thing that looks weird, is that the dial has the rught raised Omega logo but hasn't got the word "professionnal" printed.
    Does anyone know if some early non straight lugs model have no "professionnal" lettering or if it"s just impossible. As the price is very decent, I could try to swap the dial for a "pro" one. I guess a non pro one must have some value.
    Moreover, what correct bezel should it have?

thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

cheers

2. Pahawi Nov 15, 2015

3. Kwijibo Nov 15, 2015

Yes exactly. Did you speak with the seller? Apart from the dial and maybe the second hand I can't see what is wrong. Sorry for the double post.

4. mozambique Nov 15, 2015

hi,
    yes. Very troubling times in Paris.
    open up the link in Pahawi's reply for more info.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 15, 2015

If the watch is real, and that is most uncertain, the images show a later watch with an earlier dial.

While I have seen this combination several times, never in a watch known to be untouched since it left the factory.

Consequently I believe this is an example when a watch maker repaired a watch using parts he could find. Some while ago, price would have been a motivator. These watches fell out of favour in the 1970's and 1980's being regarded as second hand, and repaired and serviced only if forced. At that time servicing would have been a substantial percentage of the second hand value, perhaps as much as 50%. Add the cost of a new service dial from Omega and it is not surprising that other dials were used.

I postulate that these 105.003 dials, perhaps a second hand one, would have been a cheaper alternative than buying a new service dial from Omega, and thus found it onto this watch as a part of a budget service.

Anyway, all of this is moot if e seller does not actually have the watch.

6. Kwijibo Nov 16, 2015

Well, I'll skip. I exchanged a few mails with the seller. First of all he says that it's a gift from his father. Wasn't the watch listed earlier in 2015? A replacement dial is not a good solution. It will glow like a christmas tree. it's not as expensive as finding a matching tritium dial.
    I have doubts concerning the seller really having it. I asked him to set the hands at 11h05, no reply. I asked for a close up of the serial number, he said he hadn't got the tool to open it.