Forums Latest Members
  1. arlen Apr 8, 2017

I just bought a vintage Speedmaster Professional from Crown and Caliber. This is my first ever major watch purchase. This is it: https://www.crownandcaliber.com/omega-speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-145-022-erp49629

It hasn't yet arrived, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth what I've paid ($3000 USD). It says that the strap, dial, and bezel are not original to the watch, but that they are Omega.

I can still return the watch for up to 7 days from when it's shipped, so I still have time to change my mind. Have I made a wise purchase?

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 8, 2017

Not in my book.

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 8, 2017

Wise you would have been if you enquired before purchasing.

Mark020, bazamu, adi4 and 5 others like this.
  4. Slo084 Apr 8, 2017

I would return it. If vintage is what you are looking for original parts matter.

Eddie likes this.
  5. M.C.B1974 Apr 8, 2017

I believe if a watch is as described and all issues have been disclosed in the description then returning it because you have changed your mind should not be a valid reason especially after shipping.
    If the watch is not as described or there are issues with the watch then yes a return would be valid.
    Before buying a item of any kind, especially a vintage piece should be researched before pulling the trigger.
    I have bought items with remorse but due to my own lack of knowledge, I take it a learning experience.
    Please no one take this personally, this is just my 2 cents.

6. arlen Apr 8, 2017

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 8, 2017

Did you see the movement before buying. ::confused2::

8. arlen Apr 8, 2017

Crown and Caliber examine and restore all watches they sell, and warranty them for a year. But in any case, I've just requested to cancel the order.

9. M.C.B1974 Apr 8, 2017

It's good to hear that you were able to cancel the order, it's not a good feeling to spend that much money and not be happy with your purchase.
    I hope you find a all original watch that you'll be proud to own and wear. :thumbsup:

R3D9 and arlen like this.
  10. Uniqez Apr 8, 2017

arlen likes this.
  11. arlen Apr 8, 2017

I guess one advantage of going through Chrono24 is that it's got an extra layer of returnability and warranty. I didn't realise you can buy watches here... I'll take a look. :)

12. Overgrower Apr 8, 2017

Looks like it's a service dial and hands with the "Swiss Made" instead of "T Swiss Made T" markings. So instead of tritium it's super luminova. Hands and dial lume will glow. Basically it's like a modern Speedmaster. In my opinion kind of defeats the purpose of a "vintage" Speedmaster.

Eddie and arlen like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 8, 2017

It's a post 1998 dial. So either service or a post 1998 Luminova watch.

Assuming it's not a service dial it's not technically a 145.022. Although it's identical to 145.022 just with the current dial. Omega changed numbering system and if they kept the circa 1960 numbering it would still be called a 145.022...

Best case you paid 3k for a modern watch head and a $75 strap. You can do better.

:edit: removed the 75k strap typo

Edited Apr 9, 2017
  14. arlen Apr 8, 2017

A $75k strap?!!! Crikey why would the strap be worth so much?

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 9, 2017

Edited I blame autocorrect and not the bourbon. It should not have had the "k"

At the end of the day a 145.022-76 or -78 or an early to mid 80's 145.022 with a decent case, nice patina on the lume and bezel is 3k maybe a tad more. These watches all had tritium lume which can patina nicely. This looks like a modern post 98 luminova dial watch. Those can be purchased new for not that much more.

Crown and caliber knows better. I'm surprised they called this a 145.022 as it has a modern bezel and dial.

adi4, mr_yossarian and arlen like this.
  16. Davidt Apr 9, 2017

So you're returning this watch because it's had its vintage parts removed and you're now buying new? Which do you want - vintage or modern?

It sounds to me like you need to do some research before you decide where to spend your cash.

In terms of "is it worth it?". Your very unlikely to pay market value from a dealer. On top of the genuine market value, extra must be added to pay their rates, rent, taxes and salary.

Dgercp likes this.
  17. Tritium Apr 9, 2017

Me too. I think that's the way. You made the mistake, yours is the watch, and now you are the seller.

M.C.B1974 likes this.
  18. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

I agree with you 100%. Rushing in and buying something by mistake is now something you need to now owe up to and deal with, making mistakes is were we learn and we learn fast. The excitement of getting a piece before it gets snapped up can cause you to make rash decisions, always read the description, analyze the pictures and cross reference the watch if needed.
    Luckily this time the watch wasn't shipped and they were able to agree to cancel the transaction.

Tritium likes this.
  19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 9, 2017

If the seller has a no questions asked return policy, which is apparently the case here, the buyer is well within his rights to return the purchase, regardless of your opinion. I do agree that if there is no such policy in place and given the fact that the watch was as described, it should be an expensive lesson learned.

ac106 and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Tritium Apr 9, 2017

Sorry, I didn't read the return policy. It looks that the OP is right returning the item.
    IMG_7618.JPG