Forums Latest Members
  1. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

hello everyone as some of you know i just purchased my first vintage speedy two days ago. I finally had a watchmaker open it and show me the serial number etc. i bought what was thought to be a true pre moon speedmaster from 69. The model is 145.022 69. The serial number starts with 305xxxxx. Im confused on sources. On chrono unless im reading it wrong is that its not a true pre moon. But on another one it is manufactured in 69. My question is. Is this serial number the true pre moon that is collectible. Thank you everyone in advance. If its not. Then i have to sadly return it. Not the watch i wanted.

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 9, 2015

3. Davidt Oct 9, 2015

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you questioning whether the serial is correct? It's fine for a '69.

Are you questioning whether your watch is a 'pre moon'? Generally, any 321 Speedmaster or Speedmaster Pro without the moon landing txt on the case back is considered a pre moon. One could argue that a very small no of 'pre moon' case backs may have been produced after the actual moon landing, just before the text was added. It is also certain that a significant no of hypocampus case backs were sold after the moon landing, but for all intents and purposes, these are still 'pre moon'.

If you want a genuine moon watch, you'll need to look at a 105.003, a 105.012 or a 145.012.

Noles_88 likes this.
  4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 9, 2015

"Premoon" = Any smooth backed speedmaster

Quote:
    “Pre-moon” vs Moonwatch
    Up to around 1970 all watches had a smooth case-back, with a light acid etched Hippocampus. We call all smooth backed watches “Pre-Moons”.
    P5300003-009.jpg
    Four types of backs, Pre-moons on the left, Moonwatches on the right with engraved wording.

Davidt likes this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 9, 2015

what is the watch you want?

6. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

Its just since im new. I am easily confused with how many dealers try to sell the pre moons. I wanted and think i have a pre moon 145.022 69. I want to start a watch collection and wanted to make sure i got the right watch. I know the true moonwatch is the ones referenced above. I just want to make sure that serial number is manufactured and considered a true pre moon. Thats all sir.

7. Davidt Oct 9, 2015

Well Spacefruit managed to say in one sentence, what I rambled on for several paragraphs for.

Any smooth backed 'mk 1' Speedmaster is a pre moon. Just don't include the later automatics, mk2 etc.

8. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

Im sorry everyone. Its just it kind of confuses me one thing. A dealer has a watch that says its premoon. Looks just like mine. But circa is 1970. And its a smooth back. So thats what has me shaky on my purchase. When i mean if its a true pre moon. Because to my very limited knowledge. Circa should be 69. Correct me if im wrong. Again want to thank everyone for the help and patience.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 9, 2015

I suggest you forget about dates.

The "69" smooth backed, and engraved back, (NOT medallion back) might have a factory release date of 1970+, even though it has "69" in the case back.

Some dealers call all moonwatches "69"s (I cant tell you why, and I gave up discussing it with him)

Serials are an indication of when the watch was put together - but it is impossible to say which year that actually was from the serial or the reference. The only way is to get an extract.

Plenty of watches marked 145.022-69 were made in 1970.

Now you did read www.speedmaster101.com right?

Its pretty hard to read that and be as confused as you seem to be. Dont be offended, because if you are still confused I am happy to take the time to try and help. Everyone understands and learns in a different way and my site may not suite you!

10. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

Sir your site had very good info. Its just i was confused with certain dealers and how they sell there watches sir thats all. The way people advertise their sales confused me dearly. Thank you sir

11. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

Thank you everyone for the advice and help.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 9, 2015

Ah. That makes sense.

A lot of dealers know very little about speedmasters.

Some can be complete deceptives.

I dont know a better word.

13. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

Yes sir they really are. Ive been trying to find a watch for months. Love the speedmasters. Great looking watches. Want to start collecting them and this is my first watch to start my collection. Just wanted to make sure i made the right choice of watch.

14. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

Many dealers and sellers have tried to take advantage knowing im a first time buyer. Of course by my questions i ask them.

15. Davidt Oct 9, 2015

It sounds like you may be looking for one of three watches.

1. A watch dating to before the moon landing.
    2. A watch of the same model as worn on the moon.
    3. A 'pre moon' Speedmaster as generally accepted by collectors and described by Spacefruit above.

Which of those is what you're looking for?

16. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 9, 2015

3 Sir. But thought i was able to achieve 3 and 1. With this watch.

17. Davidt Oct 10, 2015

Well you've got a lovely example of No.3, and if it was sold as a pre moon, it was described correctly.

It may well also fulfil No.1, but you'd need an Extract From the Archives to verify that.

All in all, I think you can be very happy-congrats!

Noles_88 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  18. Brench Oct 10, 2015

haha, like the consensus about dealers. my experience as wel.

Noles_88 likes this.
  19. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 10, 2015

Thank you sir

20. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Oct 10, 2015

Thank you everyone for answers. My question is answered. Thanks.