Forums Latest Members
  1. Vron Nov 21, 2014

Hello to the wonderful folks at OF :)
    I have on my hands a vintage omega speed master. I am a speedy noobie myself and would really like to ask everyone here to comment on its condition, authenticity and possibly value. I have attached a few pics of the watch.
    The guy selling it is asking for ~$2500.00

Thanks again for your time and valuable advice as always :)

IMG-20141121-WA0000.jpg IMG-20141121-WA0001.jpg IMG-20141121-WA0002.jpg
  2. Vron Nov 21, 2014

BTW, the case back has only 4 watchmaker scribes, last one dating 2011.
    Also, it says 145 022 76
    Serial number on the movement is 22204060

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 21, 2014

I suspect the movement number is 32m not 22m as there are no 861's in that range.

It is a -76, which is for me one of the cheapest Vintage references. I love them for thier cost, and sometimes great character. This character, or patina, (some say degradation) is what makes buying a vintage so interesting, and challenging.

From what I see this watch has had a working life. The dial and hand set show what looks to me, (and others will disagree, such is the nature of Patina) very attractive and matching ageing.

The movement might need a thorough service - not Joe Shmo in the watch stall in the mall, a proper, $600 service. Although from what I can see (a focused photo would help) the pushers look in good order and adjusted, the subdials line up and I can see nothing that scares me. It is possible it does not need a service. I don't say that often.

I suspect this watch is very attractive, and after a new crystal and service will look really good. So, for me, in this case, I would be willing to go further that I normally would.

There are not many nice 145.022-76's out there, and while they are not uncommon, finding an attractive one is hard.

This is not in anything like good condition. However it is my belief that it is in very attractive condition.

What you think is up to you!

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 21, 2014

Its obviously genuine, Its a mid to late 70's model that has seen better days.

For that sort of of money you could get a much better example. serial number is 32204--- by the way.
    The dial and hands look to have some sort of water damage, for that asking price I would look elsewhere.
    The only thing going for this watch as far as I can see is the service in 2011.

5. bill5959 Nov 21, 2014

Even if this is your budget be patient. The one thing the WIS have taught me is to be just that. (And it took awhile) Good luck, regards, Bill

6. Vron Nov 22, 2014

Thanks so much for such honest and detailed comments guys, i really appreciate it.
    I just saw an vintage jewelry shop owner at Janpath, New Delhi, India wearing this watch.
    After exchanging a few conversations he was filling to sell it and quoted the asking price.
    I was not really looking for a speedy, but I realized i would not mind owning one.
    However since i have learnt from my hasty mistakes before, I wanted to check with the OF kin to ensure it was worth an effort.
    But i guess after reading all the comments, i will wait for a better, more like a under 70 clean model.

JohnSteed likes this.
  7. esspee1200 Nov 22, 2014

Has an attractive patina and the matching hands look wonderful. $2500 might be a good price if it runs strong internally.

Spacefruit likes this.