Forums Latest Members
  1. RocketCaffeine May 14, 2019

Good day everyone, I guess it’s time to share my very first Omega. I’ve registered my forum account late last year(Nov 2018) to check and find out more about my “Drawer Find” Speedmaster. This watch was handed to me on my 40th. Ive always been fond of collecting watches but not to the league of Omega and Rolex’s. I’m a Seiko kind of person and my daily beater is an SKX007. But if I would ever buy an Omega, Ive always dreamt of having a Moonwatch. I was really surprised when my Mom handed me this vintage Omega Speedmaster.

My inquiring mind wants to know more about the watch. My mom found the watch when she is trying to clear her closet drawers after we moved. My mom had this watch for years on her closet drawer. The watch was given to her by her boss when she was still working as a caregiver. My mom is not familiar with vintage watches, and thought that the watch is dead and needs batteries. She kept it anyway because she hates throwing stuff away and probably she is familiar with the brand. After then which led me to this forum.

One of the things I read on this forum is to get an Extract for validity and more information about the watch. Good thing theres a close OB nearby. I brought the watch and was told to take care of the watch as it has value. They opened the caseback for me and got the Movement serial and Model.

Unfortunately after 2 months they got back with me with no results. Seeing others have luck ordering online. Ive also tried that path but also returned with no success.

I’m very grateful for all the information I have digested just by reading topics and visiting links shared around. Since my registration Ive seen a lot of “Barn finds” on the Vintage section and gathered most of your advices. The common knowledge would be to not ever bring your watch to Omega for service or restoration as it would ruin the watch. I’m glad I have waited patiently as I have checked Omega’s website already about watch restoration.

I really would like to thank @Spacefruit for sharing his knowledge thru Speedmaster101. I have mostly read your site graciously learning about vintage Speedmasters in general.

I’m here now asking your opinions and thoughts about the watch.

Movement No. : 17301XXX
    Caseback : 2915 - 1

My analysis is that this watch was a 2998-1 basing from the movement no. but along the way during previous service the caseback was probably switched.

I can also say that the previous owner/handler probably tries to forcefully open the caseback hence the deep scratches.

The movement is good as the OB checked and confirmed it is working but probably needs service.

So the only thing I can see that is not correct is the caseback and it doesn’t have the original strap.

This has become a very long post than I anticipated. I just want to provide all the details that I can. Thank you if you have reached to this point.

And yes the much obliged pictures.

FXT24241.jpeg FXT24233.jpg
    FXT24218.jpeg FXT24264.jpeg FXT24265.jpeg FXT24271.jpeg FXT24283.jpeg FXT25137.jpeg FXT25170.jpeg FXT25175.jpeg FXT25196.jpeg FXT25205.jpeg

Taybharr, mbeast, michael e and 35 others like this.
  2. Dan S May 14, 2019

Not only is that a very special watch, it's also a very beautiful watch. Welcome.

When you requested the extract, did you give both the movement serial number and the 2915 reference number? Or did you try giving just the serial number? It's still likely that they won't have it in the archives, but it could be worth a try, in case it is in the archives as a 2998.

3. zrleopold May 14, 2019

:eek: Stunning. These drawer finds are getting out of control!!!

4. MTROIS May 14, 2019

BEAU-TI-FUL!!!! ::love::

Anyhow, first welcome to this site!!!

It does happen that Omega no longer has records for watches. Same happened for my 2998-4... oh well. That won't prevent you from enjoying this beauty!! :thumbsup:

5. Dgercp May 14, 2019

A strange 2915-1 caseback without speedmaster engraved on bevel as it should on these (with or
    without seahorse). I think lume markers were redone. Great looking watch however, congrats.

gemini4 and BenBagbag like this.
  6. ndgal May 14, 2019

Wow, this is a STUNNING piece! Congrats!
    Finding a correct 2998-1 will take some patience.

7. ndgal May 14, 2019

Look totally untouched to me.

Inox, gemini4 and eugeneandresson like this.
  8. Dgercp May 14, 2019

Maybe, but to me markers look too homogeneous and out of proportion to bezel condition.

9. ndgal May 14, 2019

Bezel - outside the watch.
    Dial - inside the watch.

Inox, michael e, mancio and 7 others like this.
  10. RocketCaffeine May 14, 2019

I believe when the OB requested the Extract the Movement no was given and they use 2998 as that what they think it is based on the movement number coupled with it has a Black Base 1000 bezel. I believe 2915-1 only has the silver bezel? Thats the reason they used 2998 for the reference.

MTROIS likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal May 14, 2019

My bezel is trashed, my case is scraped up, my dial is flawless-yes, inside the watch and kept water tight.

12. MTROIS May 14, 2019

Not disagreeing... but the watch has been serviced before, IF this is what we assume led to the switch between the original 2998 case back, and the current 2915 one.
    Isn't that a potential indication that it happened at a time when 2915 and 2998 were cohabiting, say late '50s or in the '60s? In turn, a relume could have taken place a long time ago and would have had a chance to age nicely...
    Pure speculation but wondering.... :thumbsdown:

Edited May 14, 2019
  13. boogedyboo May 14, 2019

Wow that patina on that dial and hands is just beautiful. Congratulations on your drawer find!

14. 77deluxe May 14, 2019

I just checked my drawer. Only found candy from Halloween back in 2013.

DaveK, noelekal, Edward53 and 2 others like this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2019

Holy shit...

Interesting base 1000 and an odd -1 CB

Pageing @Spacefruit

Mark020, 77deluxe and RocketCaffeine like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2019

So your an expert on Radium lume? I don’t see an issue from the pictures. But I’d look with a loupe before I confirm anything.

I’m not trying to be a dick... but radium lume ages way differently.

Edited May 14, 2019
    Inox likes this.
  17. sliceoftime_ May 14, 2019

Wow, congratulations! You got an interesting find. Keep digging and most importantly enjoy the watch.

18. Caliber561 May 14, 2019

Redials, especially old redials, are nowhere near this quality. Did you mean relume?

MTROIS likes this.
  19. MTROIS May 14, 2019

Indeed, I meant relume! Thank you for pointing it out, appreciate it and fixed my OP.

Caliber561 likes this.
  20. Swissmister May 14, 2019

That's an interesting watch. The parts definitely have value. One would surmise it is a 2998-1 or -2 with a wonky back that is unlike any I've seen. Someone noted the script should be on the step, not on the center of the back. It could well be a very special find. That back is unique and is likely legit. No matter what, it's a great item to be given. You're a very lucky young man. Do not sell it until you have an idea what it's worth. As parts only, it's worth more than some homes. As for the indices, they are nice enough to make one take a close look, but I believe they are original. And, yes, the movement should be disassembled, inspected for wear, cleaned, lubed, reassembled with parts if needed. Until then, resist the urge to run it much. Buy Mom something special. She gifted you a start on your retirement.

Edited May 14, 2019
    RocketCaffeine and TJH like this.