Forums Latest Members

Vintage Speedmaster - “I wear it in the pool”...

1. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

I'm glad you have posted this info. as it has supported my thoughts and clears up any ambiguity caused.
    Going by the standards set by ISO which "any watch on the market sold as water-resistant must satisfy ISO 22810 – regardless of the brand."[

Water resistance rating Suitability Remarks

Water Resistant 5 atm or 50 m Suitable for everyday use, showering, bathing, shallow-water swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing. Splash/rain resistant.
    Not suitable for diving.

So I think the 50m means 50m has now once and for all been put to bed.
    We can now all see that it would be incredible difficult to use your 50m means 50m watch at a depth in which the ISO rating makes it clear that a 50m WR watch is not suitable for use at the depth.

2. tyrantlizardrex Sep 22, 2019

::facepalm1::

ConElPueblo and Davidt like this.
  3. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

You might not like it, but here's the full text to support what I have said, it really can't be argued against, regardless of what Omega's blurb states.

Water resistance rating Suitability Remarks
    Water Resistant 3 atm or 30 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing, and diving.

Water Resistant 5 atm or 50 m Suitable for everyday use, showering, bathing, shallow-water swimming, snorkeling, water related work, fishing. Splash/rain resistant. Not suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 10 atm or 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. Not suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 20 atm or 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity, serious surface water sports and skin diving. Suitable for skin diving.

Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches
    are generally old(er) watches.

Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths not suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER'S WATCH xxx M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.

4. tyrantlizardrex Sep 22, 2019

You are inserting your own interpretation to fit the story that you want to tell.

Nowhere does it say that 50m of water resistance is not 50m of water resistance.

Omega’s current chart (current since 2013) which I have put into this thread there times, states clearly that a watch is water resistant to its water resistance level.

Quit with the trolling, and get back under your bridge.

Edited Sep 22, 2019
    Davidt likes this.
  5. S.H. Sep 22, 2019

You may be caught by the little details. An ISO22810 watch means it can resist 5atm overpressure, (schematically), meaning you could go at 50m depth. It is not a divers watch per se because those are under the ISO6525 which adds quite a few things to it and not only WR (function indicator like a luminous running second , specific bezel, etc). So it is not recommended you dive with a speedy, not enough readability, missing functionality, etc. But you could grab scuba gear and dive with it anyway up to 50m wrt the depth rating, even if you may not be able to read the time on it because of readability and the missing bezel.

Mouse_at_Large and Davidt like this.
  6. gostang9 Sep 22, 2019

Why do you insist on pushing your straw man argument?

No one has suggested that a Speedy is the right watch for diving (or snorkeling). NOT ONE PERSON.

Read the title again. Then read the first post again. Pay attention to the actual “point” people are making.

The overwhelming point people are making is that according to Omega, a Speedy is safe to take into the water, up to 50m depths. That means for the average person, there is need to fear when getting the watch wet. If someone wants to dive to depths of 50m, I sure hope they don’t take decide to take only their Speedy, not because it can’t handle the depth, but because it’s the wrong watch for timing their dive time.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

FIFY

8. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

I'm on solid ground if this is all you have as a way of reply.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

You've been given the exact proof from Omega that you asked for, where they state unequivocally that the watches are good for the rated depths. Now you are intentionally misrepresenting the dive watch classification (which as most people know includes features that are not just about water resistance) and trying to say that because it doesn't meet those, it's not good to 50m.

The desperation is palpable.

It's pretty clear that no matter what people post, you are going to continue to deny it.

10. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but once again you are wrong, you should know that I have not referenced the dive watch classification (ISO6425) in any way shape or form, so I'll be happy to see your retraction of that remark. You claim to know your stuff, so perhaps a little light reading on the subject might clear things up on where you are going wrong.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

So it's your position that Omega is lying then? Because nothing you have posted refutes that 50m means 50m...

12. Davidt Sep 22, 2019

It seems like we've gone around in circles in this thread.

@Stufflers Mom, to be clear, are you saying a watch rated to 50m should not be used down to that depth as it isn't capable of withstanding such pressures?

13. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

That's not much of a retraction.
    The Omega blurb is one thing, the recognised ISO standards set down in relation to relating to water resistance are another. But you are free to make up and believe whatever you like.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

Nothing you have posted refutes that 50m means 50m...

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 22, 2019

So @Stufflers Mom trying to work your logic out.

Is a 300m rated diver good to dive with at 220-250 meters

I’m covered for all water sports so I have no worry, actually I’m so covered I store this in the fish tank
    2E2D7FDD-5118-42CE-B9BB-329ACF6E96C2.jpeg

16. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

I'm saying that I believe I would put my faith in the advice given in the ISO classification for water resistance, which is 50m watches of any kind are not suitable for diving, be it Omega, Sekio or any other brand for that matter, but you are free to do what you like with your own property.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

They aren't suitable for diving as a dive watch, because as I've said, dive watches have features that a Speedmaster doesn't have. They are capable of going to 50m depth.

18. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

I feel the ground beginning to shake beneath your feet, please explain how the ISO advice of not recommending using a 50m rated watch for the purpose of diving, squares with your claim of "50M means 50m" how the hell does the watch get down to 50m without diving?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 22, 2019

Once again you conflate the dive watch classifications with water resistance. They are two different things. Most divers use a dive computer or a watch that has all the features required to be certified for a dive watch. As someone has already pointed out in this thread, you could be wearing a Speedmaster on the other wrist, in addition to a dive watch or dive computer. The watch will take the depth of 50m, but is not certified to do the other things that a dive watch does.

20. Stufflers Mom Sep 22, 2019

More shaky ground, ISO makes no mention of Speedmasters, simply any 50m rated watch is not recommended for diving, also the ISO 22810 section on 50m rated watches makes no reference to dive watches either, but it was nice of you to try and make it fit in with your incorrect narrative.